It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 pm 

When I enable this feature in the settings dialog for 'Classic Start Menu 4.0.4' under the 'Main Menu' tab: 'Show Start screen shortcut' I don't get the appropriate shortcut on my Start Menu I see portrayed in other posts on this forum.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro, and while a search of the forums did turn up the shortcut technique for creating a Start Screen shortcut:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -togglenew

I'm curious as to what other settings may be obviating me using the built in feature in the 'Main Menu' tab... Can anyone advise?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 pm 

The folder where this shortcut is supposed to be created may not have the right permissions on your computer. From the Main Menu tab, trying changing the folder used for the setting "Pinned Programs folder" and then see if the Start Screen shortcut is getting created.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:00 pm 

Thank you GauravK for taking the time, but this did not work for me... I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro with the new 'Update' perhaps that's the issue?

Note: I also updated to 4.0.6 but that didn't help either...

:geek:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:57 pm 

Open an Explorer window and check if %appdata%\ClassicShell\Pinned\ or %Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folders have a shortcut called 'startscreen'. Open its properties and see if it's hidden. Try deleting it so a new shortcut is created.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:17 pm 

Thank you again GauravK, but neither path, or any \ClassicShell directory on my system for that matter has a \Pinned subdirectory with hidden attributes or otherwise, the subdirectory is not being created.

:geek:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it and send me the log file.