It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: help with a pop up
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:42 pm 

:?:i keep getting the pop up message start menu has been updated with a lower bar to install skype. is there any way to disable/delete/kill this sucka?
any help will be appreciated. i am on windows 8.1. attached is a picture of the pop up. thanks dennyd (just another newbie user)

Attachments:
popup2.jpg [98.59 KiB]
Downloaded 536 times
 Post subject: Re: help with a pop up
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

This is not a popup from Classic Shell. Maybe you installed another software with similar functionality?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:08 pm 

Did you download Classic Shell from www.classicshell.com or www.classicshell.net?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 am 

i have no idea where i downloaded classic shell from. my son just told me to get classic shell and i searched for it and clicked on one that had classic shell in as the address. not one where it was some other site with classic shell as a late add on. i think wherever i went i was re directed to somewhere such as i think cnet to actually download it.
i have very little software other than what came with my aspire, and all of that was from install disks/downloads i have used before. i downloaded an antivirus i have used many times before without any "problems". the only other thing i downloaded was from mozilla where i have not had problems either.
if this is not something from classic shell can any of you tell me what i can do to try to find out what is "running" for this pop up. since firefox is not involved i can not use it's pop up blocker on it. when i right click on it nothing happens.
if not thanks anyway. i hope this is not a serious problem just an annoyance.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
It will collect some information from your system.
Run it and send me the log file.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:18 pm 

i have the options change repair or remove. which should i use to get the log file. by the way where will the log file be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like you downloaded the installer.
You need to download the Classic Shell Utility. It is near the bottom of the page.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

You also have Pokki Start Menu installed. Most likely it is the source of the popup. It is not recommended to have more than one start menu software running at the same time. You need to uninstall on of the two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:14 am 

If you still have problems after getting rid of Pokki, try uninstalling Classic Shell as well, then get it back from http://www.classicshell.net. The .com one is a somewhat pirated version from back when Classic Shell was still open source.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Admin

I have verified that he does have the correct Classic Shell software. But he also has Pokki which shows the popup in question.