It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm 

Windows 10 is blocking Classic Shell from working properly.
It gives me this message and I'm a Administrator and have no option to correct it.
John

Attachments:
UAC.png
UAC.png [ 682.95 KiB | Viewed 27496 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Uninstall Classic Shell, then install the latest stable version 4.2.5c. If you use a pre-release insider version of Windows 10, then use the beta version 4.2.7.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 am 

I am using the latest version as of 02-August. Pc is on a Windows network. If I login with the domain's 'Administrator' account, the Classic Shell Start button & Windows7-like menu works. If I login with Any other domain account, it does not work. All accounts are in both the Domain Admins and local Administrators groups.

Any ideas ? I've tried several things, no joy...

gfkdrobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 am 

@gfkdrobi, the app installs for all users. Here's how you can change the default settings for all users: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6332

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 am 

Gaurav wrote:
@gfkdrobi, the app installs for all users. Here's how you can change the default settings for all users: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewt ... f=7&t=6332

OK....well, if I login with any user besides the named 'Administrator' account, the Classis Shell Start menu does not run. However, if I select it from the Apps menu, I can then run it and the Start button and Win10 menu are replaced as desired. It's only when I login with the named Administrator account that it works as expected right from the start. I should add....it's only on one pc out of 5 on this small network that I'm seeing this happen, so there's something unique to this workstation. Driving me a bit crazy. Also should add that all 5 workstations are the same model/version of hardware, and their hard drives were cloned to be as identical as possible.

Weird.....suggestions welcomed...

Thanks....
gfkdrobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it from the user account that doesn't work, save a system log file, and send the file to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:28 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it from the user account that doesn't work, save a system log file, and send the file to me.

Here is the requested system log....many thanks for the kind help.....gfkdrobi

Attachments:
gfkdrobi_Requested_System_Log_03-August-2016.txt [105.46 KiB]
Downloaded 1023 times
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a compatibility setting was added to ClassicStartMenu.exe to run as admin. This should not be done. The start menu is intended to run as a regular user, just like Explorer.exe.
Also, Windows does not allow startup programs that require admin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:13 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Looks like a compatibility setting was added to ClassicStartMenu.exe to run as admin. This should not be done. The start menu is intended to run as a regular user, just like Explorer.exe.
Also, Windows does not allow startup programs that require admin.

That was it !!! Turns out another in our volunteer group tried to make a version before 5.2c work by adding that setting. Removing it now allows the app to run as expected ! GREAT HELP, and I SINCERELY thank you profusely "!!

gfkdrobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:57 am 

You all do know that windows 10 does not allow the all users access to the admin account? They injected that in the Aug updates, the only way around it I have found is to go to the properties of the shortcut, hit the advanced button and select run as admin. I have had to do that to ANY app that changes windows 10 in any way. I have reverted to the previous version of 10 pro and have not had any issues with Classic Shell. I believe microsoft is trying to make all 3rd party apps illegal as far as they go. Steam is now partaly disabled with the new build, will have to wait to see if microsoft changes that, but I doubt it.

Load

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:14 am 

LoadtheOrig wrote:
You all do know that windows 10 does not allow the all users access to the admin account? They injected that in the Aug updates, the only way around it I have found is to go to the properties of the shortcut, hit the advanced button and select run as admin. I have had to do that to ANY app that changes windows 10 in any way. I have reverted to the previous version of 10 pro and have not had any issues with Classic Shell. I believe microsoft is trying to make all 3rd party apps illegal as far as they go. Steam is now partaly disabled with the new build, will have to wait to see if microsoft changes that, but I doubt it.

Does this mean they removed the UAC buttons everywhere? This is weird, UAC was the sole good thing introduced in Vista and above.