It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: holiday start buttons
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:21 pm 
does anyone have any interest in creating holiday oriented start buttons, animated or regular? seems like a fun activity for this time of year. i know how to create buttons but I'm not much of a graphic artist. would love to see some nice original start buttons. a christmas tree with blinking lights is one idea. i'm sure there are many other ideas. perhaps a tree with more and more presents being added under it. santa moving in his sleigh. so on and so forth.

happy holidays

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:45 am 

Well I have tons of nice-looking, animated and static icons which I hope someone could turn into Start buttons.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Set topic as unsolved
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:01 am 
Gaurav wrote:
Well I have tons of nice-looking, animated and static icons which I hope someone could turn into Start buttons.

hi,

that's great. maybe a traditional button would be best to start. the animated ones take a lot of images to make and trying to create one with different users could be challenging. what do you think about maybe doing a traditional button with three different images. perhaps a snowman, a reindeer, and santa. or whatever you think. would just like to see a collection of holiday buttons.

post some images and i can make the button. one question i have is, what size the images should be? i'm not sure what the best size to use is.

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:25 am 
i found these images using google. i have to go for now but i can make them into a button later. just a starting point for ideas. i'm not sure if it's appropriate to use images that i didn't make myself though.

Edit; I removed these images to avoid confusion.

Last edited by prop_design on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 am 

You can get some nice icons from sites like www.iconfinder.com which are freely licensed and do not even require attribution or a back link.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Set topic as unsolved
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 am 
Gaurav wrote:
You can get some nice icons from sites like http://www.iconfinder.com which are freely licensed and do not even require attribution or a back link.

thanks a lot for the link. i found a bunch of nice free images to use. i will make some buttons as soon as i get a chance and put them here. they will just be the classic buttons and switch between three different holiday images from the site you provided.

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:09 pm 
here is a standard (i.e. non-animated) holiday start button i made using free icons from iconfinder.com

thanks for the help gaurav. if anyone else wants to post holiday start buttons, feel free.

happy holidays

Edit; the updated button is below.

Last edited by prop_design on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:06 pm 

Just made one. I've always thought the new Windows logo looked like one side of a Christmas present :lol:

(FYI I have a giant version, 10x the size of this one, so if anyone wants it, I'd be happy to provide (VIA LINK, NOT ATTACHMENT, OFC) :V

EDIT: Woops, accidentally chopped off the bottom part of the first frame. Fixed now ._.

Attachments:
MerryClassicmasAndAHappyShellYear_UsableRes.png
MerryClassicmasAndAHappyShellYear_UsableRes.png [ 37.07 KiB | Viewed 41057 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm 
Splitwirez wrote:
Just made one. I've always thought the new Windows logo looked like one side of a Christmas present :lol:

(FYI I have a giant version, 10x the size of this one, so if anyone wants it, I'd be happy to provide (VIA LINK, NOT ATTACHMENT, OFC) :V

EDIT: Woops, accidentally chopped off the bottom part of the first frame. Fixed now ._.

cool, thanks for contributing. I don't have windows 10 yet, that's an interesting observation. I found some more icons I can use to make holiday buttons. I'll be posting a few more buttons soon.

I have been reading about all the backend spying Microsoft has added into Windows 10. Seems like the first thing I will have to do is carefully turn off their key loggers and other bs. altough they will probably still spy somehow or another.

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:04 pm 
update;

i found another site with more icons. i made some more buttons. i also renamed and used the same save options on the original button i posted previously. so plenty to choose from.

happy holidays

feel free to add your holiday buttons to this thread.

Attachments:
Holiday Start Button 3.png
Holiday Start Button 3.png [ 135.38 KiB | Viewed 41040 times ]
Holiday Start Button 2.png
Holiday Start Button 2.png [ 40.45 KiB | Viewed 41040 times ]
Holiday Start Button 1.png
Holiday Start Button 1.png [ 35.71 KiB | Viewed 41040 times ]
Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:05 pm 
here are the rest, I was limited to three per post. hats off to the creator(s) of classic shell. it is very easy to make the standard buttons. i never made any until today. i previously made a few animated buttons and that is a lot harder to do. it only takes a minute or two to make a standard button using Gimp.

Attachments:
Holiday Start Button 5.png
Holiday Start Button 5.png [ 67.83 KiB | Viewed 41040 times ]
Holiday Start Button 4.png
Holiday Start Button 4.png [ 110.26 KiB | Viewed 41040 times ]
Set topic as unsolved