It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:59 am 

Windows performed an update today, Dec 21, 2016 and it said it uninstalled Classic Shell because Classic Shell does not work with the Windows update!!! Basically, Microsoft just turned my useful computer into a giant paperweight! Help please!! Just in time for Christmas, too!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Press Win+R and run "winver". Then tell me what version of Windows it says you have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:37 am 

Currently, I've rolled back the updates Windows applied. It actually worked, although I was hesitant to do so as history has not fared well with trying that solution in the past! I'm not sure how long I can go on without updating because of security, but at least I should be able to function through Christmas. Please let me know if anyone figures out a solution for this. Thank you. I LOVE Classic Shell!

Oh, and it's version 1607, since the rollback. Windows had applied 3 updates and a security update all at the same time, so I'm not sure which was the culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:39 am 

OS build 14393.0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Well, that's not important anymore since you rolled back the updates. I was curious what version was the one that wasn't working.
Anyway, for the latest version of Windows you need the latest version of Classic Shell, which is 4.3.0.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:47 am 

You could install Windows 8.1 on it and install Classic Shell. That way you get security updates till 2023. Windows 10 is a very unpleasant experience and you might as well think 8.1 as the last decent Windows after which your PC usage becomes a nightmare. I personally lost all interest in Windows seeing how bad 10 was and how they're forcing regressive, bad changes and spinning them as "good for you".

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:26 am 

The same happened to me today after a very long update, but I'm happy to say it was easily fixed by downloading the current version of Classic Shell. Not only that, but Classic Shell seems to have remembered my old settings (so maybe Windows didn't delete the old version it entirely).

For reference, the update said: "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607" and the OS build is 14393.693. The Windows message about Classic Shell was that it had been removed to due to incompatibility with Windows 10.