It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:08 pm 

Hello, I've been using CSM for quite some time but never really understood this one.

When enabled ("Track frequency of use" also enabled), I never see any effect. The list of programs in the Start Menu remains essentially unchanged, containing stuff like Calculator, Paint and the Snipping Tool which I never use. If I switch to Recent programs, it works as expected.

What am I missing? I read in an old thread that "Frequent programs" might not work when launching programs outside of the Start Menu, but that's not my case.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 pm 

"Track frequency of use" only affects search results.

Frequent programs is based on UserAssist data *maintained by Windows* which is encoded in the Registry. Classic Shell's Start Menu only shows that data. Whether the data is collected or not is controlled by the setting related to jumplists to maintain a list of such programs.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:42 am 

Thanks, are you referring to the settings below (Settings/Personalization/Start)? Can't find something wrong with them.

Attachments:
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg [ 49.32 KiB | Viewed 36152 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:01 am 

"Show most used apps" off=turns off frequently used programs. Most used=frequently used. If you are using the "Recent" list in Classic Start Menu, that setting won't make a difference.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:22 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
"Show most used apps" off=turns off frequently used programs. Most used=frequently used.
Sorry, but these two sentences seem to contradict each other. So, in order to use "Frequent Programs" in Classic Start Menu, "Show most used apps" in Windows needs to be turned off? Because I've always had "Show most used apps" enabled, and while "Recent Programs" works in CSM, "Frequent Programs" does not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:14 pm 

To use Frequent programs in Classic Start Menu, "Show most used apps" must be turned on. Only if it's on, Windows can collect data about the most used apps and the Classic Start Menu can show it. After turning on "Show most used apps", you must open some apps before they will show up in the Frequent list.

Recent programs works independently of that setting.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:58 am 

Ok, then there's probably something else that prevents Frequent programs from working in CSM (I have never seen it working, even after leaving it for days and using various programs).

Perhaps some of the Windows 10 privacy settings that I usually change is interfering, perhaps the disabled Cortana and blocked searchui.exe - I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:50 am 

You could try turning it off and turning it on again. That will reset any history of the data that Windows 10 has collected in the Registry.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 am 

Can't make it work no matter what, "Frequent Programs" always gives me basically a static list. Thanks though, guess I'll stick with "Recent Programs".