It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:05 pm 

July 29 I Upgraded my Test PC and my Work PC to Win 10 Pro 64bit. I installed Classic Shell on both. Classic Shell is working Fine on my Work PC. My Test PC does not get used very often. About two weeks after the Upgrade, Windows Updates were installed and I noticed that Classic Shell had been removed. Today I reinstalled Classic Shell and am having problems with changing some settings; They will not Lock in. I had a sniff around and found a Notification from Microsoft, that stated Classic Shell was removed as it was not Compatible with Win 10. The only difference between these PCs is that my Work PC is Latest Hardware and my Test PC is somewhat older Hardware - However, I cannot see that this would make any difference.
Most Disappointing, to say the least.
I do not know if this is a Bug or whether it is just another Microsoft Win 10 Hazard.
Can anyone throw some light on this matter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:05 pm 

Windows 10's latest big update, Anniversary Update or version 1607 removes some parts of Classic Shell. You can do a complete uninstall and then reinstall of the latest version, 4.3.0 which is compatible. If you have problems uninstalling Classic Shell, use this utility to remove it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe and then do a reinstall of the latest release.

Personally I recommend Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, as Windows 10 is a problematic/improperly designed operating system. If you use it, it will continue to routinely give you issues.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm 

I have carried out your instructions and after running the Utility, I was able to Re Install Classic Shell and it now appears as it should.
However, I had Renamed Classic Shell.exe to Mt Shell.exe to confuse Win 10, advice I had received from a Google Post.
Anyway, all is well now with this Great Innovation.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:32 am 

That's not all MacroShaft is doing when they remove Classic Shell. They are also re-enabling Cortana. For those of you who have disabled it take a look at your task manager and I would also suggest that everyone write a letter to the federal trade commission. What gives MacroShaft the right to remove our software without prompting the user for agreement? Also what gives them the right to force us to use Cortana?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:24 pm 

Personally, I recommend you to run Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 with Classic Shell. Windows 10 is not a pleasant experience. But that's just my opinion.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.