It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:17 am 

Hi to all!!!

i'm new , i installed classic start menu ,and it's amazing
i start to like w8.1 :)

well , i installed on my laptop and on my friend's laptop , both w8.1

on the first time , i guess i did mess up with skin and settings advanced

so i uninstalled after 1 day of use , and i re-install it on the same laptop i7 ,8gb of ram , in shot a new laptop, well now classic shell start menu is slugish and slow

on the second laptop i used revo pro to track the classic start menu installation , i there are lots' of keys that classc start menu left

i wonder if there is a cleaner tool , to run , reboot and make a clean install of classic start menu

in both laptop i have installed only classic start menu

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm 

Lots' as in 10? or hundreds/thousands? We have had that issue in the forums before, though classic shell should only be creating a handful of registry keys...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:20 pm 

There are Registry entries left behind at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IvoSoft after the uninstall. Delete them to get a clean Registry as if you never installed Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:59 pm 

GauravK wrote:
There are Registry entries left behind at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IvoSoft and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IvoSoft after the uninstall. Delete them to get a clean Registry as if you never installed Classic Shell.

HI
i can export revo uninstaller pro , there are really many many many many registry keys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:12 am 

I don't understand what your issue is. You say you want to reinstall Classic Shell. For that you don't need to clean any Registry keys.

I recommend you do not use tools like Revo Uninstaller and stick to the regular MSI/Windows Installer to uninstall/reinstall Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:27 am 

GauravK wrote:
I don't understand what your issue is. You say you want to reinstall Classic Shell. For that you don't need to clean any Registry keys.

I recommend you do not use tools like Revo Uninstaller and stick to the regular MSI/Windows Installer to uninstall/reinstall Classic Shell.

hi
my problem is

1) i installed classi shell (start menu only) custom install
2) i played with the settings
3) it's works great
4) i uninstall it because i did mess up with the settings and reboot
5) i re-install it , now it's slow , comsumes more ram (sometime a lot) ,slugish when i search

i think it the built in uninstaller the culpit

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:45 am 
Site Admin

You do not need to uninstall to reset the settings. Go to the settings, click the Backup button and select "Reset all settings".
Uninstalling won't remove settings for two reasons. First, you want your settings to be preserved when you upgrade from one version to the other. The upgrade is done by uninstalling the old version and then installing the new one. Second, the settings are per user. The installer doesn't have access to any other users except the current one, and sometimes not even that one.

When you say "consumes more ram", what are you measuring?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:11 am 

Ivo wrote:
You do not need to uninstall to reset the settings. Go to the settings, click the Backup button and select "Reset all settings".
Uninstalling won't remove settings for two reasons. First, you want your settings to be preserved when you upgrade from one version to the other. The upgrade is done by uninstalling the old version and then installing the new one. Second, the settings are per user. The installer doesn't have access to any other users except the current one, and sometimes not even that one.

When you say "consumes more ram", what are you measuring?

hi
thanks for the answer
i use process hacker and i check for the classic scell exe and explorer.exe

weird , the first time i uninstall it , it asks me to reboot
the second time i uninstall it , no warning or advise to reboot w8.1 64bit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Which of the two processes uses more memory than you think you should? How much?

When you uninstall you get a warning that you need to reboot if some of the files are still in use. If no process has loaded the Classic Shell DLLs then there is no need to reboot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am 

Ivo wrote:
Which of the two processes uses more memory than you think you should? How much?

When you uninstall you get a warning that you need to reboot if some of the files are still in use. If no process has loaded the Classic Shell DLLs then there is no need to reboot.

hi , explorer now without classic shell is around 40mb , with classic shell

swings between 80mb and 180mb

and i used revo pro only to track classic shell , the registry changed keys and so on

thanks