It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:32 pm 

The fact that you need administrative access to install classic shell can be a problem.
The other day I went to my Grandma's to install classic shell on her new computer for her. (she has windows 8 and couldn't figure out how to log off or shut down) However I couldn't install it because my cousin was the only person who had an administrator account. (it was password protected and he was at work) Fortunately I was able to take a copy the instillation from my laptop I had on a flash drive and copy it on to her pc. I put classic start menu in the startup folder and it works good enough. (there's a little delay before it starts and it can't skip the start screen) A nonadministrative install option or portable version would help when there's just no way to give administrative approval.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

The thing is your "good enough" is not good enough for most people. For the start menu to operate correctly it needs to install a service, which requires an administrator. The rest of the Classic Shell features also require admin access because they install shell extensions.

It is pretty much accepted that on Windows you need to be administrator to install software.

While it is possible to create a portable version that kind of works, it is not supported and you are pretty much on your own.