It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:44 am 

So I'm setting up Windows 7 to have a links toolbar, akin to Windows 98/XP. I have a button set up to not have an icon, and to have a drop-down menu that's a shortcut to where I'm going to hold the links. How can I add a button within the toolbar that adds the current folder to the toolbar? none of the commands seem like it. Is it possible?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

You can't do this with custom items because they can't be updated in real time. However you may create a button with both a command and a link. Set the link to point to some folder where you store the shortcuts. Set up the command to create a new shortcut in that folder. You may need some bat file magic or use some other scripting system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:00 am 

Yeah, what I need help with is setting up the command to store the shortcut there. Do you know what command to use?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 pm 

You could use a command line program like makelink.exe which is a console tool to create shortcuts (*.LNKs). I've attached it to this forum. Run makelink /? to see its command line syntax.

Attachments:
makelink.zip [31.78 KiB]
Downloaded 1849 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 am 

You haven't attached it to the forum, and I'm afraid I can't figure it out with that little information. I need to know the command to use to make it create a shortcut to the selected item in explorer, and place it in %USERPROFILE%\Links\Links Toolbar.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:33 am 

I've attached it now. Copy makelink to some directory in your system path e.g. C:\Windows. To create a shortcut to the selected item and place it in a folder use this command:

makelink.exe "%2" -CSIDL:40 -SUBDIR:Links\Links

%2 means selected item. CSIDL value of 40 is the %userprofile% directory. Change the path after that as per your requirement.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:50 pm 

Thanks so much! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:57 pm 

Oh, and while I'm at it, how can I make an icon not be square? I want to add a "button" to the toolbar that does nothing, but just shows the Windows Classic logo, like 98's explorer has. But, I need an icon to do that, and as far as I know, there's no way to make an icon be wider than it is tall, which is how the picture would fit. Is there a way to not use an icon, and if not, do you plan on adding that in future versions? Here's what I'm trying to add:

Attachments:
98 Logo for Explorer.jpg
98 Logo for Explorer.jpg [ 846 Bytes | Viewed 55040 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

The toolbar requires that all icons are the same size and are square. The size of the icons is specified in the "Toolbar Settings" tab. If you have a non-square image you need to pad it or crop it to become square. If the size doesn't match the toolbar icons size the image will be resized.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:45 pm 

How do I add padding? And if this doesn't work, and I decide to split into two icons instead, how can I remove the gap between them? And how do I make it un-clickable?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

I'm afraid what you are trying to do is not possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 pm 

Currently? You are still adding features to Classic Shell, right? Could something like this be on your list (since it's Classic Shell and that's a classic feature)?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Toolbars are designed to contain buttons of identical size. While it is possible to add a static image to a toolbar, it is not an easy task. It is a cosmetic feature with no practical use. And it doesn't play well with other features, like a customizable button size. So no, it is not something that will happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:42 pm 

GauravK wrote:
I've attached it now. Copy makelink to some directory in your system path e.g. C:\Windows. To create a shortcut to the selected item and place it in a folder use this command:

makelink.exe "%2" -CSIDL:40 -SUBDIR:Links\Links

%2 means selected item. CSIDL value of 40 is the %userprofile% directory. Change the path after that as per your requirement.

Using this, how can I make it create a shortcut to the current folder if no item is selected?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 pm 

Weboh wrote:
Using this, how can I make it create a shortcut to the current folder if no item is selected?

Use %1 instead of %2. %1=current folder, %2=selected item.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:37 pm 

Is there a way to add an "if" argument so I don't need two buttons?

And is there a way to add a button to toggle the status bar?
What about a shortcut to control panel folder options?

I love Classic Shell, and especially you guys' help on it. Don't know what I'd do without it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 am 
Site Admin

You will need to write some script, for example a .bat file. If there is no selected file, %2 would be empty. You can check for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am 

I don't know how to make the .bat file with those arguments. I'll need the exact code. I'm afraid I don't understand MakeLink's "help" section. Or do you not know how and I should ask on whatever forums MakeLink has?