It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 am 

I would suggest a feature for Classic Explorer.

Is there any chance to see in the status bar the size of the highlighted folder?
In Windows XP it was possible to even see the size of the folders in detail, as seen in the list of files, but it seems that it is not possible for Windows 7.
This feature was very useful for me and if this is not possible, at least that I could see in the status bar would not be bad.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Nope, sorry. Calculating the folder size can be very expensive. The only way to do this with a reasonable performance is to cache all folders and then track all changes. This is quite a lot of work and not a feature I feel belongs in Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 am 

If its a matter of work, there is already an open source project http://sourceforge.net/projects/foldersize/ that does all but display the size, (They couldnt figure out how to display this size in explorer, so maybe you could help the author a bit, or merge his work into classic shell. As for feature, I think it fits perfectly with the classic theme, and is one of the things I really miss from XP.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:59 am 

It's not a case of "they couldn't figure it out" but "can't be done". It can only be done on Windows XP. Microsoft removed the IColumnProvider programming interface in Vista and later so custom columns in Explorer Details view for all file types and that display dynamically changing data from the file system is impossible.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:09 am 

I thought that was the case, but what Ivo said hinted at it being possible..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:27 am 

It can be done as a standalone app in a separate UI which is what Folder Size for Windows does on Vista+. The ability to show folder sizes neatly in Details view columns is gone :( The substitute I use is the "Size of Folders" function in FileMenu Tools. :) It recently got an amazing new feature to calculate size of folders excluding hard links (so it doesn't count the size redundantly). It's UI, speed - everything is done right, I find it the best replacement for Folder size.

The only issue is that FileMenu Tools bundles some unbearable crapware which it tries to install without permission :evil: :twisted: . The solution is to disconnect from the internet temporarily after starting its installed.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 pm 

Ya I use it to :p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 pm 

Count me in Guys. I still use XP with Folder Size (as a matter of fact from this very Laptop).
Though it used to lock some Flash Drives or External HDD's ( final version reduced this problem).
I use USB safely Remove to help unlock stuck Devices. I mention This because I always Install these on any XP installation for Tech Savy people. I am an IT by the way,So I have a range of experiences with different hardware and software setups.
With Win 7 ,my first Software installation after finishing the drivers is always Classic Shell.
[To say thank you and I love what you guys have done with this software ,is an understatment of monumentle proportions.
I simply do not have the words to express my gratitude for classic shell and how much it simplifes my repaires.]
I follow CS with Network activity indicator( A usefull feature MS choose to stupidly remove scince vista.)
Then an external folder size type software. ( Non that I really like )
I understand the inherant problem with folder size functions, mainlly the time it requires indexing the drives on each reboot and the differant implemintations after XP. But the fact remains its usefullness can not be underestimated for the time it saves when manipulating files for various reasons. Considering Folder Size and to a lesser extent Network activity Indicator are inherently functions of explorer, i believe it's right up your ally.
Now the draw back is the time you need to wait for indexing. Where as FS does this by default as a service and uses disk access cycles that slows the system down until its done. What you can do is to add the function to launch from explorer only when the user requests it.
So it will not be active during regular use, but when it's usefullness is required.
For those of us who appreciate this ability will not mind the indexing time considering how much time you actually save having it.
So if you guys can come up with an enhanced version of CS that does Folder sizing upon request with Net Indicator and advanced USB Removal, I would definitely be willing to pay for such App and it's a safe assumption that many others would as well seeing that Microsoft seems to be removing all usefull and control function with every new windows they launch.
My apologies for the long post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 am 

I checked Total commander's ability on win 7 x64.
It does show the folder sizes quite quickly when you press the standard CTRL+shift+Enter, problem is you have to do it whenever you change directory.
Just pointing out that it's doo-able as a function, within the constraints of an external program.
Can it be done with CS opening a new GUI that looks like a column that is overlayed on a rarely used column like say
''Computer'' .
CS can enable the Column than have a GUI/ window/ Virtual Column (leave it up to you on how to impliment) to overlap or cover just that
specific column. That way you can bypass the IColumnProvidere restriction.

I am no programer and have no idea how far fetched this might be, but is it technically possible?
Would like your opinion on this!

Thanks again guys for such a great program

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:39 am 

@Quartergold, try either the freeware Explorer++ or Lopesoft's FileMenu Tools. (FileMenu Tools is free and has a nice "Size of folders" feature, although you will need to disconnect from the internet while running FileMenu Tools installer as it tries to download and install some bundled crapware without giving choice to install it. Once you start FileMenu Tools installer, disconnecting from the web will prevent it from downloading and installing that crapware).

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:36 am 

Thank you for your help but I am aware of both programs . As I stated in my first post there are none that i really like for various reasons.

As Classic Shell is providing the functions and interface that microsoft has continually been removing and a folder size function should have been
available from MS through all its iterations of windows, I was wondering if you could have added it.
It always bugged the hell out of me that explorer's primary and main function is to manage files.
Not providing it as switchable function or installable service to those who need it has always been one of the reasons of the many frustrations
Microsoft has made me swollow for over 2 decades of using their software.

I just wanted to know whether or not my Idea was possible.

Whether or not you implement it is strictly up to you.

Considering what you are providing us Tech folk with CS and for free, well my hat's down to you guys.

Keep up the great work!