It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: Power options
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 pm 

I just love this program and find it the best available and yes, I have tried them all LOL
But I have a problem that I noticed recently. When I first installed version 3.6.8 there was a "Hibernate" option in the power settings and I used it often, but I went to use it today and it had vanished from the menu!!! So I uninstalled and reinstalled it but still not there. So I just installed the latest version 3.9.5 (love the new search option) but still no "Hibernate" in the power menue. Can anybody please help? because it is something I was using often.

Last edited by PetrolHead on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Power options  Topic is solved
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 pm 

Whether Hibernate shows or is hidden depends on whether hibernation is turned on or off on the system.
1. Type "Command Prompt" into the Start Menu search box.
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open it as administrator or right right "Command Prompt" and choose Run as administrator.
3. At the command prompt, type: powercfg /hibernate on
4. Type Exit to close the command prompt.

Bonus tip: If you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8, you can reduce the amount of disk space that Windows uses for hibernation by taking advantage of the compression feature. The hibernation file can be a percentage of the total RAM. From the same elevated command prompt, type: powercfg /hibernate size 65 or powercfg /hibernate size 70 (that number is the % of total memory). So if your total memory if 4 GB or 8 GB, it won't take all 4 GB/8GB of disk space but only 65% of it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Post subject: Re: Power options
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:24 am 

Thanks very much for your quick reply GauravK, I am now a very happy bunny and have the "Hibernate" option back again. Although I am not that good with computer issues your instructions were very clear and I managed to follow them and all works fine now. The only thing that did not work was when I typed "Command Prompt" into the Classic Shell search box, I had to use the Windows 8 start menu. Why wont it show up in a Classic Shell search?
I have no clue why the hibernate option suddenly vanished, but since getting Windows 8 two months ago I have noticed lots of strange things that either happen or don't happen, like system restored points NOT getting created with a Windows update, or when you install or uninstall a lot of programs, but that is another story. I am very happy to have a start button on Windows 8 and pleased to say that when I uninstall and reinstall Classic Shell it creates restore points.
Thanks again for creating such a great program, best on the market without a doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:24 am 

It should find "Command Prompt" when you type it into the Search box as long as its shortcut is there in the Start Menu folder. Check on the "Search" tab in Start Menu settings to see you have "Search programs and settings" checked. If "Command Prompt" returns nothing, then simply typing: cmd should also find its EXE.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 am 

Perfect :-) Thank you very much. That advice worked fine.