It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:30 am 

I had to get the latest beta through Comodo Dragon and then was sorry I did. I went to install it over 3.9.1 and it said things including Windows Explorer needed to be shut down and gave me the option to have them automatically shut down or not. To avoid the need for rebooting, I chose to have them automatically shut down. This resulted after a couple of minutes in a new window stating that some things could not be shut down properly and a now blank desktop and taskbar. I had to manually restart Windows Explorer from the Task Manager before I could do anything either on the desktop or in the Metro screen.

Trying to uninstall it resulted in the same problem when I chose to have the running programs shut down automatically. If that option is not selected, then everything goes smoothly and a reboot is not required. I think that option needs to be removed from the installer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 am 

This is just the Windows Restart Manager failing to properly close and restart Explorer. Nothing to do with malware which SmartScreen is designed to block.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 am 
Site Admin

This happens on every version of Classic Shell. Since it integrates into the system, some applications will have to be restarted. The Windows Restart Manager is not very reliable though, and often fails to restart the applications. I've seen this happen often with some stuck processes of Internet Explorer.

Some other installers (like StartIsBack) log you off instead of using the Restart Manager. I think this is too drastic though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:50 am 

So, if you remove the option to have the programs automatically closed and reopened, then the problem disappears. You may need to do a reboot but that's preferable to having what amounts to being a locked up system where you can't do anything. Even a required reboot would be better, whether it was actually necessary or not. Since you know the restart system is unreliable, why use it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 pm 

You don't get locked up. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to start Task Manager, close, then restart Explorer.exe. Although the average user may not know what to do in this case. He'll ask in the forums. :)

In most cases if Classic Explorer (the Explorer plugin) is not installed, then the installer will quickly close the menu, do its thing and restart it. It's Explorer.exe which in most cases fails to exit properly when Restart Manager tells it to exit, and hence Restart Manager can't restart it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

The Restart system works most of the time. When it doesn't, most of the time it says that it failed and that a reboot will be required. There's also hope that someday it will get more reliable.

BTW, what you see is the uninstaller for the previous version. So if something is unsafe, it is the old uninstaller, not the new installer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

with me it actually fails basically 100% of the time :P, though i can usually start explorer through taskman rather than restarting the system to get it running fine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

It depends on what other software you have installed. Some shell extensions may be preventing Explorer from restarting correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:57 pm 

First--no it was the uninstaller for 3.9.3 that did it. When I restarted Explorer, CCleaner reported that 3.9.3 was the version installed so it was that uninstaller that caused the same issue. Second, I never install the Classic Explorer or the Classic IE modules. Third, I didn't say it locked up, just that it looked like it and would amount to that for a lot of people since you can't do anything.

I will repeat that you should just require a reboot and stop trying to use Windows restart.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Well, initially you reported that you installed 3.9.3 over 3.9.1. Then it was the uninstaller for 3.9.1 that was trying to restart Explorer.
Which was precisely my point - this behavior (sometimes Explorer dying during uninstall) is not new for 3.9.3. It has been like that for all previous versions.

As of version 3.9.0 even the start menu registers a shell extension. It serves two purposes - allows launching the start menu without a service, and supports pin/unpin from the context menu in Explorer. So in cases where versions 3.6.x and older didn't require Explorer to be restarted, new versions do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:03 pm 

GauravK wrote:
You don't get locked up. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to start Task Manager, close, then restart Explorer.exe. Although the average user may not know what to do in this case. He'll ask in the forums. :)

In most cases if Classic Explorer (the Explorer plugin) is not installed, then the installer will quickly close the menu, do its thing and restart it. It's Explorer.exe which in most cases fails to exit properly when Restart Manager tells it to exit, and hence Restart Manager can't restart it.
He'll ask in the forums or, more likely, uninstall and not use the product. I'll repeat that the Classic Explorer module was not installed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:06 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Well, initially you reported that you installed 3.9.3 over 3.9.1. Then it was the uninstaller for 3.9.1 that was trying to restart Explorer.
Which was precisely my point - this behavior (sometimes Explorer dying during uninstall) is not new for 3.9.3. It has been like that for all previous versions.

As of version 3.9.0 even the start menu registers a shell extension. It serves two purposes - allows launching the start menu without a service, and supports pin/unpin from the context menu in Explorer. So in cases where versions 3.6.x and older didn't require Explorer to be restarted, new versions do.
But, if you do not choose to have the programs closed but rather choose the option that says it may require a reboot, everything goes fine and no reboot is necessary. Therefore, I see no need for the first option.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

If you do this you may end up with two copies of the DLLs running inside Explorer, potentially fighting and crashing. If you are just uninstalling (instead of upgrading) or if you install different sets of features or if the new version differs significantly from the old one, there will be a very different set of installed files (skins, resources, etc). The old DLLs will look for them and fail.

So trust me, relying on the Restart Manager is the least of all possible evils.