It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:12 am 

When you use DAEMON Tool's "Tray Agent", there's a DT icon in system tray. However when I restart computer, the icon does not present, even though it is supposed to be running:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\DAEMON Tools Lite

points to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun

I have disabled all startup programs one by one to find out which causes tray icon not to appear. Turned out to be Classic Shell. With everything enabled EXCEPT Classic Shell the icon is still present. With everything disabled and ONLY Classic Shell and DAEMON Tools enabled, the icon is still missing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Admin

What does this program do? Is it something that can be freely downloaded?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am 

Yes, it can be freely downloaded from http://www.daemon-tools.cc. Program is called "DAEMON Tools Lite". It is the most popular program in the world for mounting disc image files.

This video shows how to enable Tray Agent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l66R0PIBn6s

BTW, I have this bug on two different computers after multiple reformats. So it's pretty solid.

I am also unsure if the bug manifests itself immediately or after a short while.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

What version of Windows are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:41 am 

Windows 7 SP1 x64. This bug persisted for a while. I had it since version 3.x.x of Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Admin

OK. I'll try this over the weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 am 

Looks like it's some setting. When I've reset everything to default, icon appears on restart. I'll try to figure out which.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Oh. Then attach your settings here when you manage to trigger the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:52 am 

I am sorry, previous claim was false - it was just a coincidence where it appears that DAEMON Tools has loaded before Classic Shell. I tried it again with default settings, and it failed to load again.

But just to be sure I am adding the settings file.

Attachments:
Menu Settings.xml [6.41 KiB]
Downloaded 1146 times
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:16 am 

Just a heads up - I've tested older version of DAEMON Tools (4.35) - same problem. And CS doesn't just prevent tray icon from showing up, it prevents DAEMON Tools from launching on startup at all. :o I guess problem runs pretty deep. Maybe some system driver issues or something.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Are you able to start the software manually using the same command line that is used on startup?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:01 am 

Yes, I can start it manually using the same command (tried with batch file). Icon appears and everything. Only automatic startup doesn't work while CS is sitting in startup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Admin

I was unable to get the tray icon to show up automatically even without Classic Shell installed. The DTlite process starts and then exits after 10 seconds. If I run it without the "-autorun" switch, then the tray icon shows up fine.

Sounds like an issue with the DT software. I have other programs that start up automatically. Maybe it conflicts with them too. Either way, doesn't look like a Classic Shell specific issue. You may try contacting the DT developers and have them try to figure out why it exits on its own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:53 pm 

Yes, I do expect that it may be an issue on their side. Thanks, Ivo. I appreciate that you looked into it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:23 am 

I'd like to ask other users - does DAEMON Tools work for you on startup? 1500 topic views, and no one gives a shit to reply. Come on people, you're better than this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:36 pm 

I have to confirm the bug. It causes trouble not only with DAEMON Tools icon, but with other icons, rather randomly on each startup. I do not use D.T. but in my case those were icons for PeerBlock, Speedfan, old version (not open source) of BitMeter, Virtual CloneDrive, ClamWin Antivirus, X-Mouse Button, VIA HD Audio Deck, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker.

First I was thinking that the bug is related to the iconcache.db system file (I found such suggestion somewhere) but this was unrelated to iconcache.db. It was caused by Classic Shell. When I disabled Classic Shell all those symptoms ceased.

Classic Shell is a great program (thanks!), but this bug is very irritating.

Edit: Processes of each of the programs I listed above are running and are present in memory. Only their icons do not show. I did not saw this behavior of tray icons since I disabled Classic Shell, so this must be CS related issue.

Last edited by autumnlover on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

In the case of DAEMON Tools that supraspecies reported, it is not just the icon that has disappeared. It is the process itself that's gone.
For the programs you are reporting, can you confirm if only the icon is gone, or is the entire software disabled? There may be different issues at play here.
Also, does it only happen on login, or you are seeing the icons disappearing at arbitrary time?

BTW, I am using 7+TT myself, and I'm seeing no problems on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Also, does it only happen on login, or you are seeing the icons disappearing at arbitrary time?

Only on each login. I did not noticed icons to disappear anytime later. When I log out and log in back it sometimes happen again (at random) or do not happen again. And when I say "random" I mean random number of icons missing. Sometimes only one is not loading, sometimes a few of them are missing.

I also suspected that Windows 7 "file search indexing" service has something to do (I was thinking that icons do not appear before indexing session is completed) but disabling searching service did not solve the problem.

Ivo wrote:
BTW, I am using 7+TT myself, and I'm seeing no problems on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Yes, this is great little tool, I use it solely for hiding that pesky "show desktop" icon on the low-right corner and to conserve taskbar space. It seems to be only working solution for this I managed to find. I think it would be great to see "hide Win7 show-desktop-icon" feature in Classic Shell one day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

autumnlover wrote:
Edit: Processes of each of the programs I listed above are running and are present in memory. Only their icons do not show. I did not saw this behavior of tray icons since I disabled Classic Shell, so this must be CS related issue.

Since the processes are there, see if restarting Explorer will make the icons reappear. Open task manager. Then kill the explorer.exe process, then from the File -> New task type explorer and click OK.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:38 am 

Ivo, I found something extremely interesting. DAEMON Tools bug is present only on my fresh Windows installation. Classic Shell silently installs on first Windows run. And then DAEMON Tools glitches. But right now I've reinstalled CS on both my computers, and the bug disappeared. After reinstallation of CS everything is fine. But that is strange...

I'm using:

start /wait %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ClassicShellSetup.exe /qn /qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0

I will continue looking into the issue. Something in this quiet installs is different from the actual install. Or maybe it has something to do with me deleting installation entries and importing my registry settings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Ah, so the plot thickens. :)

The recommended way to run the installer is as a normal user, not as admin. That's because the installer runs the start menu at the end, and it needs to run as the same user as the explorer process. However if you reboot afterwards it should erase the difference. There should be no difference in the installed files or registry entries themselves. However I am not quite that familiar with installers to be 100% confident in this.

See if DAEMON works before you apply your registry settings, and then after. It may be an issue with your particular combination of settings. Save them to XML and attach them here. Also try resetting the ones that are not default (they will be bold in the settings dialog) and see if you can find a particular setting that is the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm 

Yes, I am going to see if it runs fine before I import my settings. But for now, I ran a different test. I've reinstalled Windows with the following CS' installer command:

start /wait %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ClassicShellSetup.exe /qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0

It is missing the "/qn" switch. I figured using both /qn and /qb may cause installer confusion, since one switch asks it to run in silent mode, another asks it to run in basic mode. AND my glitch disappeared last time I reinstalled CS in non-silent mode.

So the results of my fresh installation so far - DAEMON installed, and 18 reboots without any issues... I will not jump to any conclusions, I made that mistake too many times before, but so far it looks promising. Sure as hell more promising than anything up to this point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:59 pm 

Pardon me for double post, but I feel this should make a standalone post:

Here's my report on the problem:

When I was installing Windows 7 (x86 and x64) across multiple machines, using different Classic Shell versions using the following command, I always had the bug. For more than a year, after many reformats.

start /wait %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ClassicShellSetup.exe /qn /qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0

Then I tried this command instead:

start /wait %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\ClassicShellSetup.exe /qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0

It is essentially the same command, but with missing /qn switch.
Once again, I tried using it on multiple machines, did a couple of reformats, installed all my programs and games, and there is no bug. Positive.

----------------------

The bottom line is - Ivo, you are sure in your Classic Shell, but how sure are you in your installer? It appears that either /qn switch itself is messing something up, or a combination of /qn + /qb switches.
In my post above I already stated that using both switches in one command may potentially cause issues. Maybe I was right.

What installation-making program are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Admin

I am using the built-in Windows Installer. The Classic Shell installer is just a container for the MSI file. When you run it, the MSI file is extracted and then executed.
I would expect /qn+/qb to behave like /qn. Have you tried /qn by itself?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 am 

No, I haven't tried /qn yet. Ever since I've installed Windows using /qb alone, everything works fine on all machines, and I decided to accept that fact and stop playing with The Powers That Be. :)

But I will do a test reformat (I'd trust only a full reformat to test this issue) on my second machine using only /qn switch to see if it's /qn that causes the issue, or /qn + /qb, as I used them in my command before.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:14 pm 

Unfortunately no change after doing uninstall, reboot and reinstalling using "ClassicShellSetup.exe /qb START_MENU_FOLDER=0" method. "Nvidia control panel" and "Bitmeter" icons did not appear. Then after uninstalling CS "nvidia control panel" icon did appear instantly, without restarting explorer.exe nor rebooting.

Last edited by autumnlover on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 am 

It worked on my comps for a while, but then Steam icon disappeared. I had to delete my icon cache to restore it (icon.db file or whatever it's called). After that, DAEMON and Skype icons disappeared on startup again. DAEMON doesn't even launch anymore, Skype launches, but its tray icon is missing.

Aaaaaand magically it all works when Classic Shell is disabled on startup. All icons are present, nothing is missing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

I have sent you a PM with some tests I'd like you to run in order to determine the cause of the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 am 

Will check PM out ASAP. Right now I've reinstalled Classic Shell, and even more icons disappeared on startup - Windows Volume icon, Internet Connection Icon, Skype, DAEMON, Realtek Audio Manager, Logitech Software...

Rebooted without Classic Shell in startup - all is there... *sigh*. Checking PM now.

EDIT: New Classic Start Menu (4.0.4.0) doesn't launch unless I launch it in CompatibilityFixes 8 (haven't tried other compat modes yet). If this compatibility mode is not set, it just hangs in processes.

EDIT 2: Okaaay, this is bad. Skype was in the processes, but tray icon was missing. I've reached up to 192 (C0) CompatibilityFixes, and it did not solve the problem. Only completely disabling Classic Shell on startup did.
Re-enabled Classic Shell on startup, Skype is missing again...

EDIT 3: New Classic Start Menu files (4.0.4.0) ***seem*** to solve the problem. At least i did 5 reboots with 4.0.2, and all had missing Skype. As I switched to 4.0.4 (which I have to run in compat mode 8), Skype is back. Looks like compat mode has nothing to do with it though, as it didn't help with version 4.0.2.

Rebooting and rebooting - looks like 4.04 solves the issue with missing icons so far, question is if DAEMON was screwed up for the same reason or not. Can't test it now, as I've reinstalled Classic Shell earlier today, and as I mentioned above, it solves the problem with DAEMON (temporarily?).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Admin

I would prefer if we discuss this over PMs, since we are talking about an unreleased version.