It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am 

In "Settings for Classic Start Menu 3.6.8", the option "Initially focus on: [x] All Programs" would be more productive for me if it resulted in *immediate* display of the flyout menus. This would save 2 mouse clicks and put me where I always want to be after pressing the Start button or WinKey.

Last edited by RetiredEngineer on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:01 pm 

So as I understand you want the 'All Programs' submenu to expand automatically when the Start button is clicked?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 pm 

its either that, or hitting enter right after the windows key to open the allprograms menue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am 

Re: "So as I understand you want the 'All Programs' submenu to expand automatically when the Start button is clicked?" from GauravK -- Precisely!

Re: "its either that, or hitting enter right after the windows key to open the allprograms menue" from Jcee -- Could also be included as another user option.

In general, the UI which works best is the one personalized to each user's shortcut desires.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 am 

Are you looking to have the all programs menu open out of the side like normal, but automatically, or for all the contents of the all programs folder to be visible in the regular menu?

If the former, you could right click the taskbar, and click open and open for all users, copy all those links to the start menu, If the latter you may be able to accomplish it with a script (see auto-hotkey) IE when Windows key is pressed, press alt+P

as far as inclusion into classic shell.. thats up to IVO, but I would suggest not limiting it to all programs :) (adding a new menu item labeled "Include folders contents in menu")

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:01 pm 

Well I guess since in the treeview mode, the expanded menu doesn't cover anything else, Ivo could add an option to expand All Programs automatically (i.e. show All Programs treeview by default). There have been attempts by some developers to do this for the Windows 7 Start Menu:
1. http://code.google.com/p/all-programs-auto-expander/
2. http://twigstechtips.blogspot.in/2010/0 ... -when.html

If it's set to cascade, then expanding it automatically doesn't make sense as it covers the right column.

Or it can just be the default behavior (to avoid introducing yet another setting), when the Recent/Frequent list is set to "Don't show" in Classic Start Menu. That way, an option doesn't have to be added.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

I guess that could be OK, so long as setting "Max recent programs = 0" wouldn't trigger it. That way if the user only wanted pinned programs they could..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 pm 

Jcee wrote:
its either that, or hitting enter right after the windows key to open the allprograms menue

Either way would be an improvement for me. However, given my druthers, I'd prefer the All Programs menu to open when I press only the Win key.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

There is an option for this in version 4.0.2. Look for "Open automatically" in the Main Menu tab.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:13 am 

Ivo wrote:
There is an option for this in version 4.0.2. Look for "Open automatically" in the Main Menu tab.

Sorry, but I don't see it in the attached screenshot.

Attachments:
My Main Menu.png
My Main Menu.png [ 46.98 KiB | Viewed 36352 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Looks like you are using the Classic style. The setting requires the Windows 7 style.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 am 

Ivo wrote:
Looks like you are using the Classic style. The setting requires the Windows 7 style.

Yes, I am. I should have made this clear in my initial post. Sorry for the confusion I caused. Mea culpa. What I want to see is All Programs displayed with one mouseover or click of the Classic Shell Start icon, or one press of the WinKey.