It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Custom command for panes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:31 pm 

Hi everyone, I' m new ^^

I'm trying to do a custom command for show/hide preview pane and another one for details pane ...... it's possible? :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm 

The keyboard shortcuts for toggling Preview Pane are Alt+P for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1. For the Details pane, it's Shift+Alt+P (Windows 8/8.1 only).

Microsoft doesn't allow any way to programmatically toggle them but I created a script that sends keystrokes using the freeware, AutoHotkey. I have attached the plain text script (which requires AutoHotkey installed) and the compiled standalone EXE version of the script (which doesn't require AutoHotkey to be installed) to this post. Download it and give it a try.

Note that the EXE version even if it's safe will be blocked by Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials as these 2 anti-malware apps are incompatible with AutoHotkey EXE compiled scripts and cause CPU hangs. You will have to add an exception to whitelist the file in MSE/Defender to prevent CPU usage from massively shooting up and hanging. If you have disabled Defender/MSE and use any other anti-malware, then the EXE version will run fine. So don't run the EXE version before adding an exception to Defender/MSE. If you don't want to use the EXE version (which is completely safe to use with other anti-malware apps), you can use the AHK version which only requires AutoHotkey to be installed.

Attachments:
Toggle Details Pane.zip [377 KiB]
Downloaded 1101 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 am 

Yep, the bind .exe for details pane works well on windows 8.1 :D

Could you make hotkeys for the other two panes? :)

*EDIT*
Made my own script for preview pane (modeling the script you attached ^^) and for the other panes (treebar too).
Seems to work nicely ^^

Attachments:
Panes toggles.zip [810 Bytes]
Downloaded 1075 times
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:38 am 

Excellent. Although the folder (navigation) pane doesn't have an official hotkey so it doesn't work reliably and sending the wrong hotkeys can be dangerous.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm 

GauravK wrote:
Although the folder (navigation) pane doesn't have an official hotkey so it doesn't work reliably and sending the wrong hotkeys can be dangerous.

True. For folder pane I used the keys combination of metro (ribbon) interface [ALT+V+P+Enter] which is minimized. Not exactly a plain shortcut, but works well with classic shell/explorer and don't seems to give me problems :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:50 pm 

Hmm. That's why it was behaving strangely in my Explorer as I have the Ribbon disabled. :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:06 am 

Good news. The latest Classic Shell 4.0.6 has a built-in button now to toggle the folder/navigation pane as well as the Details pane and the Preview pane. No more need for AutoHotkey commands.

Compare Start Menus