It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm 

This happen both to 4.0.0 and 4.0.2

I have a "Search Indexed Location" and "Search Outlook" under Favorite in Window Explorer.

Before these two new version, I had 3.6.8. I can click and either one of the searches and it instantly let me type my search string in the search box.

In the 4x versions, when I clicked on "Search Indexed Location", Window Explorer will be "Not responding", or it would take minutes before it let me type the search string.

As nice as the new search scheme in the START menu, I still like to do my search in Window Explorer because I can see preview of the items.

I finally gave up and uninstalled the 4.0.2 and reinstalled 3.6.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

What version of Windows are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 am 

I use Windows 8.

I don't have the problem in V3.6.8
I have problem with v4x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Admin

It may be related to the new status bar feature. For example it may be trying to display the total size of all files in the search folder, which can take a long time.
To verify that, open Classic Explorer settings and uncheck "Show status bar" in the Status Bar tab.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am 

Ivo wrote:
It may be related to the new status bar feature. For example it may be trying to display the total size of all files in the search folder, which can take a long time.
To verify that, open Classic Explorer settings and uncheck "Show status bar" in the Status Bar tab.

That solved the problem. Thanks.

What am I missing by not showing the status bar?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:06 pm 

The status bar shows free disk space on the volume you are browsing, total size of all files in a folder when nothing is selected and the tooltip when a single file is selected.

Btw, for "Search Indexed Locations", if you add a shortcut in Favorites with the target set to: search-ms: , it will also search all indexed locations but not try to show all the files inside it as clicking "Search Indexed Locations" does. It might be more responsive. As soon as you type something, it will directly show results.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 pm 

GauravK wrote:
The status bar shows free disk space on the volume you are browsing, total size of all files in a folder when nothing is selected and the tooltip when a single file is selected.

Btw, for "Search Indexed Locations", if you add a shortcut in Favorites with the target set to: search-ms: , it will also search all indexed locations but not try to show all the files inside it as clicking "Search Indexed Locations" does. It might be more responsive. As soon as you type something, it will directly show results.
The "Search Indexed Locations" is search-ms
Target = "C:\Users\Alex\Searches\Indexed Locations.search-ms"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

I don't mean the file extension, I mean the protocol (look at the colon after search-ms:). If instead of clicking C:\Users\Alex\Searches\Indexed Locations.search-ms, you create a shortcut that has a target as search-ms: (it's the search-ms protocol), then it will also search all indexed locations without trying to list all the contents of the index which causes Explorer to slow down until it has listed them all. :)

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm 

GauravK wrote:
I don't mean the file extension, I mean the protocol (look at the colon after search-ms:). If instead of clicking C:\Users\Alex\Searches\Indexed Locations.search-ms, you create a shortcut that has a target as search-ms: (it's the search-ms protocol), then it will also search all indexed locations without trying to list all the contents of the index which causes Explorer to slow down until it has listed them all. :)

I am not sure how to create the short cut you said. Can you give me some detail?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:03 am 

Sure. Right click in an empty area of any folder in Explorer or on the desktop -> New -> Shortcut. The Create Shortcut wizard will start. Type in it:
search-ms:
Note the hyphen between 'search' and 'ms' and the colon after it. It is the search-ms: protocol used by Explorer.

Click Next, give it any name and click Finish. You can move this shortcut anywhere, drag it to Favorites. You can also create a Custom item in the Classic Start Menu or on the Explorer toolbar where the command field's target is search-ms:. That opens a search window which searches all indexed locations without trying to list all the contents which causes Explorer to slow down.

Attachments:
Search-ms.png
Search-ms.png [ 54.95 KiB | Viewed 36191 times ]

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 pm 

OK. I created the "New Search" on my desktop. But it wouldn't let me pin it to the taskbar, the Start Menu, or the Favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm 

You can drag it over to the Start button, wait for the menu to open and then drop it over the Start Menu's pinned area. To put it in Favorites, open the folder C:\Users\<Your User Name>\Links and copy-paste or move it inside it. Then it will show under Favorites. :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:03 am 

That puts it to the Favorite.
But I still can put it in the mneu. I can put it in Menu>All Programs
Would be nice to pin it to the taskbar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:08 am 

To put it inside the menu, you will have to copy/cut the shortcut and paste it to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu or %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. It doesn't seem possible to pin it to the taskbar though.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm 

Good news. In Classic Shell 4.0.4, there is now a time and count limit for computing the total file size in the status bar, so Explorer doesn’t freeze when viewing large folders like Indexed Locations. You can turn on the status bar again safely.

Compare Start Menus