It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:31 am 

Hello,

I would like to change ugly Classic Shell Start Menu Icons (Windows 7) from such type (look at Accessories icon):
http://imageshack.us/f/43/kvxq.png/

to such icons (look at Accessories icon):
http://imageshack.us/f/713/f558.png/

How can I do it?

Regards

Pawel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:11 am 

Unlike the Windows XP Start Menu and other menus before it, Classic Shell's Start Menu doesn't yet show a different icon for folders inside All Programs. The icon is the same as what the folder icon in Explorer is.

It is possible to change the icon of a specific folder or you can change the icon for all folders. Which one do you want?

Do you want to change just the icon of the Accessories folder or do you want to change all folder icons to what you showed? If you change all folder icons, they will change throughout the system, even in Explorer, for all folders.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:07 am 

Hello,

I want to change icon style for all folder icons but only in Start Menu. Folders must stay unchanged for filesystem.

Regards

Marcin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:18 am 

Oh that is something only Ivo can code into the Classic Start Menu if it is possible, like how the XP and all classic menus behaved - different icon for Start Menu folders from what the system folder icon is.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Admin

The folder icons come from the file system. Without this you won't be able to set custom icons for folders. So it is a choice between two features - 1) User-defined icon for all folders, 2) custom per-folder icon. You can't have both. So I chose #2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:14 pm 

why cant the custom per-folder icon override the user defined icon for 'all' folders (aka all undefined folders get x icon by default)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

There is no way to know if the icon I get from the OS is "default" or "custom". All I get is an icon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 am 

Hi Ivo,

I see option nb: 3) User-defined icon for all folders in Start Menu (not in filesystem).

You have written that you have choose option nb 2) custom per-folder icon

Can you tell me how to change folder icon for Accessories? I will change it then for the rest of folders in STart Menu.

Regards

Marcin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 am 

To change the icon of a folder in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, right click it -> Properties -> Customize tab -> Change the icon.

Then open %appdata%\ClassicShell and delete the DataCache.db which will force the Start Menu to rebuild the cached icons.

To change the icon of a folder in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs is tricky. Either the file manager you are using has to opened as administrator or the Properties dialog must be opened as administrator. But the problem is Windows File Explorer in Windows 7/8 cannot be opened as administrator - it doesn't really elevate because of a DCOM restriction Microsoft put in the registry.

Explorer++ (http://explorerplusplus.com/) is a good free alternative for such operations. Open Explorer++ as admin and open the Properties of any folder inside %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. The Properties will also open elevated. Change the icon. Then delete the Classic Shell DataCache.db to refresh it.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 am 

you could create a new folder, and compare its icon via checksum? if it matches its a system default (though this would only work in most cases)