It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

The new version contains multiple fixes and improves compatibility with Windows 8.1.
Download from the usual place: http://www.classicshell.net/

Update: A serious problem was found in version 4.0.1 that places the taskbar on top of fullscreen programs in some cases. The latest version 4.0.2 contains a fix for the issue.

Next release is Classic Shell 4.0.4
Previous major release was Classic Shell 4.0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 pm 

I seem to be having a slight issue

When I click "Hide User Picture" (its already selected from a previous build), it doesnt affect anything, and the user picture is still shown

I tried deselecting it, hitting ok, then selecting it and hitting ok, but it remained the same

What its done to my menu is forced some important items down below the task bar so I cant see them at all, even on a single-row taskbar, but I usually use double-row height

when I had the picture disabled in the last version, I was given quite a bit of extra space, so I could fit more menu items on the list..

I would like the Username & Account Picture removed from the Start Menu, is there a way to do that?

Is this just me, or is anyone else unable to hide their Account Image?

Great Work as Always, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

The "Hide user picture" setting only affects the Windows 7 start menu. Is that what you are talking about?

If not, then you need to look at the Skin settings and find "Show user picture".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:11 pm 

Also, I now have a "Pin to Classic Start menu" as well as a "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" in my right-click context menu..

What should I do about that?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:13 pm 

Ivo wrote:
The "Hide user picture" setting only affects the Windows 7 start menu. Is that what you are talking about?

If not, then you need to look at the Skin settings and find "Show user picture".

ya, thats what I was talking about, I'm on Windows 7x64, that setting doesnt seem to do anything

but the Skin setting worked perfectly, thanks, fixed it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm 

Ivo wrote:

Do you mean it only affects the Windows 7 built-in Start menu, and not Classic Shell? if so, I'm curious as to why its included in Classic Shell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

The settings in the "Windows Start Menu" tab are for affecting the Windows 7 start menu. It is for people who prefer the native menu over the classic menu but want to change its behavior in some ways. It made more sense in the older versions before Classic Shell had the "Windows 7" style.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Tenzen wrote:
Also, I now have a "Pin to Classic Start menu" as well as a "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)" in my right-click context menu..

What should I do about that?

thanks

You probably added "Pin to Classic Start menu" yourself by hacking the registry. You need to remove it as it is no longer needed. The new Classic Shell has the feature built-in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:17 pm 

cool, great feature..

is it possible for you to make a new reg file to clean that up for us?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:32 pm 

However note that the built in 'Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)' works only for EXE files and LNKs, and closes the submenu whereas the registry tweak works for multiple files selected at once as well as for any file extension, shows a nice icon and doesn't close the submenu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 am 

GauravK wrote:
However note that the built in 'Pin to Start menu (Classic Shell)' works only for EXE files and LNKs, and closes the submenu whereas the registry tweak works for multiple files selected at once as well as for any file extension, shows a nice icon and doesn't close the submenu.

ok cool, thanks

anyway to disable the new one then?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:59 am 

Merge this to the registry (paste it into Notepad, save as .reg file and double click it) to remove "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt]

However it may return after you update Classic Shell

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 am 

I love that you made the Menu Item Name Syntax support Space, or just be exactly whats in the Label Field, so we dont even have to Rename Items anymore

thats one of the best feature improvements yet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Admin

GauravK wrote:
Merge this to the registry (paste it into Notepad, save as .reg file and double click it) to remove "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\StartMenuExt]

However it may return after you update Classic Shell

I think he wants to remove the other "pin" item that was created following your tutorial.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 am 

Just wanted to say thank you for 4.0.2
It fixed my problems that places the taskbar on top of fullscreen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 am 

Just curious: does the 4.0.2. version replace my 4.0.0 installation? Or do I need to uninstall the previous version first?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:38 am 

Pieter wrote:
Just curious: does the 4.0.2. version replace my 4.0.0 installation? Or do I need to uninstall the previous version first?

You can upgrade over any existing version of Classic Shell without uninstalling it

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:23 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I think he wants to remove the other "pin" item that was created following your tutorial.

For now, I think I want to keep the one I made from the Tutorial, since its Already in play and has more functionality

On a new computer, I'll just use the one that now comes with Classic Shell

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm 

it seems the padding around the Classic with 2 Columns has been increased.. Is there any way to adjust the passing thickness to make it a bit thinner?

I can actually not fit the same number of items due to the padding, one item gets the bottom half buried in under the 2-row start menu, so i have to delete an Item, meaning one item less on the start menu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I don't remember altering the padding in classic skins. Can you show me a screenshot before and after?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 pm 

hmm, well none of my earlier screenshots show it exactly, though maybe the bottom & sides look the same

Perhaps you fixed something on the top overflow.. the top has a nice border now, I seem to recall it pushing things upwards beyond the top of the screen before.. maybe because my Photo & Username werent disabled and they just got pushed upwards, not sure

ok, well, it would be a cool option to be able to thin out the top and bottom padding by about half

anyway, no worries, thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:42 am 

Hi everyone,

thanks for the new release. Unfortunately, something appears to be wrong with it. Since installing, I have the beautiful Windows 7-Style start menu but the pinned items (upper part of the list) are gone. I can only see the list of recently started programs. There is no horizontal separator bar either.
When I right-click e.g. Outlook in All Programs --> Microsoft Office --> Microsoft Outlook, it offers me to unpin the icon from the start menu though... so Windows still seems to think it's pinned but the Classic Start Menu is not showing it any longer.
I have skimmed the options and reset them to defaults, to no avail. Changing to the other start menu designs also has no effect, the pinned icons are gone.
Any idea on what I can do besides reversing to an older Classic Shell version? Does anybody else suffer this?

Regards and a lot of thanks!
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Admin

By default the Windows 7 style uses a new Pinned folder to store the pinned programs. It is empty by default.

You have 2 options - if you have any interesting programs pinned in older versions, they will be in the Start Menu folder (currently will show inside the All Programs list). There is an option to show the Start Menu folder on the main menu like before. In the Main Menu tab change the "Pinned Programs folder" setting to "Use Start Menu folder".

If you don't care about your old pinned programs, pin some new ones. Right-click on a shortcut and select "Pin to start menu (Classic Shell)" or drag the shortcut to the start button, wait for the menu to open and drop the shortcut inside.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:59 am 

@Ivo: sorry, my mistake, the Classic Start Menu is so similar to the Windows 7 one that I just confused them. Actually I was using Classic Explorer before but not Classic Start Menu (because for now, I feel the Windows 7 built-in start menu has all I need).
Well, we all will be forced sooner or later to move to Windows 8, so I better make myself at home with Classic Start Menu, too It's the first thing to be installed on Windows 8 to give that blasted OS some use at all.
Thank you for your efforts. The results are just amazing!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]