It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: 4.0 Start Menu Skin tab
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:15 am 

I upgraded from 3.6.8 to 4.0.0. Everything went smoothly, except one small glitch:

All the settings from the Skin tab were lost. Further, upon re-doing the settings, they are not displayed in bold like usual to indicate a change from the default.

Attachments:
Skin menu.png
Skin menu.png [ 49.86 KiB | Viewed 17590 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:24 am 

Did you have a backup of the settings in XML format?

The skin settings were never shown in bold in the previous version either so that is not a bug, however the skin getting reset and skin settings lost could be a bug. If I remember correctly, if you have a saved XML, then the skin and skin settings should get imported but it's not, it's ignoring the skin settings from what I tried with Classic Shell 4.0 on Windows 8.1. I will have to confirm with Ivo.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Each of the 3 styles (classic, two columns, windows 7) has its own separate skin settings.

When you upgrade from 3.6.8 to 4.0.0 the menu tries to guess if you were using one- or two-column mode and set the correct style. Then it transfers the old skin settings to the skin settings of that style. The skin settings for the other two styles are set to defaults.

Does this explain the behavior you are seeing?

And GauravK is right, the skin settings were never bold because they are not independent settings. All setting are stored in a single registry value.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:55 am 

I did not have a backup. ClassicShell has never lost a setting before so I never bother.

Ah, I thought "didn't use to work" might have been the case but I couldn't remember. In which case I amend my bug report to "Skin menu is inconsistent with the rest of the settings UI".
The Skin settings really did get lost though.

ClassicShell correctly guessed that I was using classic style, so I would have expected all the settings to carry over. So that does not explain the behaviour.

Edit:

To be fair, I don't see how the fact that the Skin settings are stored in one key vs doing something else means that the "bold to indicate non-default" feature doesn't work. Load the key, and if the settings are different from the hard coded defaults, bold the items.

Hm. I seem to recall that the bolding shows up until the option is specifically reset to default, regardless if the option is set to a default or non-default value. That implies to me that the bolding is triggered off the mere presence of a registry entry, instead of triggered off the value.

If that's the case, please consider changing that so that only non-defaults are bold. I never understood the rationale for bolding a default value just because it had manipulated.

Edit 2:

Examining the registry it looks like 3.8.0 used to stored the settings right in the top-level ClassicStartMenu key, but 4.0.0 stores then in ClassicStartMenu\Settings with a version item.
Here are the old and new Skin items:

ClassicStartMenu:
Skin1:REG_SZ:Smoked Glass
Skin2:REG_SZ:<No Skin>
SkinOptions1:REG_SZ:DA60029A|E55CEDD2|BD80CDB2|C26EAF5C|86F3669C|5225DC46|5D3248DD|1FC64124|5EA361A2|
SkinOptions2:REG_SZ:
SkinVariation1:REG_SZ:
SkinVariation2:REG_SZ:

ClassicStartMenu\Settings:
SkinC1:REG_Z:Smoked Glass
SkinOptionsC1:REG_SZ:BD80CDB2|C26EAF5C|86F3669C|5225DC46|5D3248DD|1FC64124|5EA361A2|
SkinVariationC1:REG_SZ:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the skin settings are not transferred during the upgrade because they have been renamed. It is not impossible, but is currently not being done.

A "default" setting is very different than a setting that has the same value as the default. In many cases the default value is tied to external factors. For example the default icon size depends on the current DPI setting. The position of the frequent programs depends on the selected style. In some cases the default value also changes between versions. That's what bold means - the setting will not change regardless of those external factors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 am 

Ok.

Losing the skin settings is expected behaviour then. Is that true even if an XML backup has been saved and restored?

Ah. That makes more sense. Is that explanation included in the help?

And as always, thanks for the great software!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

I would expect importing an old XML file to also have the same behavior. As I said, it is possible to preserve the skin settings and it might happen in a future version.

The behavior of the default settings is explained in the help but it doesn't matter because nobody reads it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:36 pm 

I read the help ages ago when I first started using ClassicShell, and I just double checked: my understanding of non-default value is bolded is a direct result of the current text (unchanged from my first read AFAICT).

Please consider copying in this paragraph verbatim:

A "default" setting is very different than a setting that has the same value as the default. In many cases the default value is tied to external factors. For example the default icon size depends on the current DPI setting. The position of the frequent programs depends on the selected style. In some cases the default value also changes between versions. That's what bold means - the setting will not change regardless of those external factors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:22 am 

In the latest version of Classic Shell, skin settings for built-in settings are correctly migrated. The upgrade notification has been rolled out now for version 4.0 so all the users upgrading from 3.6.8, their skin settings for built-in skins will be migrated.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.