It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Optical error
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:57 am 

I noticed an optical error in the german version: When you try to use the classic start menu with your keys, it doesn't underline the menu items "Startseite" (which means "Start Screen"), "Computer" and "Apps".
I also noticed that the "error" doesn't only occur in the german version, but in other languages, too. Is there a way to fix that?

Attachments:
File comment: A screenshot of what the "error" looks like:
underlined.png
underlined.png [ 22.62 KiB | Viewed 29049 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Optical error
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Admin

This is normal. Not all items have custom underlined letters. If they don't, the first letter is used.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:24 am 

Can you do it so that every letter is being underlined? Because it is in the other items, after all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

No, that's not how menus work. Only custom accelerators are underlined, default accelerators are not.
If you want a letter to be underlined you need to use & in the name. For example rename Computer to &Computer. Or Sta&rtseite.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:58 am 

You can go to Customize Start Menu tab in Settings, double click the item for which you want to edit the accelerator, and add '&' before the name in the "Label" field.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:31 pm 

Currently the only setting is to enable/disable this button. however it should probably at least have a hotkey, and this may be added in a later version.

Alternatively you can create your own 'start screen' button by: going to the Customize Start menu tab, creating a new custom item and setting its command to: "{Install Directory}\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -togglenew
then set the icon, tip and label fields. (Note: place an & before the letter you want to be the underlined hotkey)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

It has a hotkey. Shift+Win :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm 

How odd, when i posted that i was the only reply.. Oo, eh anyways, true you can set shift+win to open it.. and a hotkey is hardly needed :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 pm 

GauravK wrote:
You can go to Customize Start Menu tab in Settings, double click the item for which you want to edit the accelerator, and add '&' before the name in the "Label" field.
Thank you. But I couldn't find the item for the start page. Is it really not there, or have I just not seen it yet?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

The name for the start screen item comes from the StartMenuL10N.ini file because it is localized in all languages. You can change it there, but it may break during the next upgrade.

Another way to change the name is to open the properties and change the name from startscreen.lnk into whatever you want. The next time you open the start menu you will get both until you disable the "Start Screen shortcut" from the settings. The downside here is that you will get the default icon and it won't match the tiles in your start screen.

So basically there is no ideal solution to rename it. I still don't get why you would want that though, just to get the underline? The S key would work even if it is not underlined.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 am 

Ivo wrote:
The name for the start screen item comes from the StartMenuL10N.ini file because it is localized in all languages. You can change it there, but it may break during the next upgrade.

Another way to change the name is to open the properties and change the name from startscreen.lnk into whatever you want. The next time you open the start menu you will get both until you disable the "Start Screen shortcut" from the settings. The downside here is that you will get the default icon and it won't match the tiles in your start screen. So basically there is no ideal solution to rename it.
Since that change has so many downsides, I decided to just not do it.
Ivo wrote:
I still don't get why you would want that though, just to get the underline? The S key would work even if it is not underlined.

I just like to have a startmenu where everything is equal - for example, the underlining feature. In previous versions, any item in the startmenu was underlined - so I assumed that it was simply something you forgot when implementing the new items inside the menu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Classic Sheller wrote:
In previous versions, any item in the startmenu was underlined - so I assumed that it was simply something you forgot when implementing the new items inside the menu.

This is not true. In all classic menus in the past the program shortcuts did not have underlines. That's because they are files on disk. The start screen command is just that - a program shortcut that is automatically pinned for you.