It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 pm 

Ivo,
With 3.9.1 I have an issue when a user logs on to a RDS host session on WS2012 where the desktop goes completely blank. Only the taskbar and CSM is visible. Going to the start screen and back to desktop is only way to fix it. This doesn't seem to happen in 3.9.0 or your prerelease 3.9.2. Just thought you should know.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

Well good if it's fixed in 3.9.2, otherwise it's cause for concern. :) Thanks.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:30 pm 

I need to raise this issue again as I don't believe it has gone away. With 3.9.3 on a cluster of 3 Server 2012 machine a user can randomly end up with a blank desktop on logon with only the taskbar and CSM button visible. CSM is working. Uses have to go to the Start screen and click desktop to get the desktop to load.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

The start menu and the taskbar are in the Explorer process, so is the Desktop. Are you saying the two of them are working, but the Desktop is blank? Can it be a redrawing issue? Like, what happens if you click on the Desktop where icons usually are?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:47 pm 

Evo,
I will try and get more info. I know clicking on the desktop or clicking the desktop and pressing F5 doesn't fix it. I have not tried to click where icons should be. It is random so when I get next occurrence I will try more things.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:40 am 

This is still a problem for me with 4.0.4.

Remoting into a server (Windows Server 2012 Essentials) running TeamViewer, the server logs you in normally, but the desktop is black and the taskbar is just the Classic Shell button and the rest is all grey, and no icons appear in the systray. Apps that run on login, like Dropbox, don't update themselves and appear to be hung. Their presence does appear in the process list.

Pressing Alt+Tab shows a few odd items, one of which is "Immersive Background", and the Alt+Tab dialog is the old school version, like mentioned here - https://superuser.com/questions/537722/ ... -windows-8.

Something about pressing Alt+Tab and selecting an app, going to Metro then coming back seems to kick it loose, and all the desktop and systray icons show up, the program dialogs that should be on screen do appear, the Alt+Tab dialog box becomes the new large-thumbnail version, and then the programs in the systray finish loading and everything is OK until the next reboot.

I have not changed the registry setting alluded to in that SuperUser article, as I figured I should post with you guys and see if you are aware of the issue, or not, first.

Thanks for a great product!