It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:03 pm 

Right-clicking on any of the folders in the folder tree of windows explorer causes windows to crash every time.

Bizarrely, running procdump prevents the crash and expected right-click behaviour returns, so I can't get a crash dump for this (altho procdump does show exceptions).

Details of a crash without procdump running show the following 2 events in Event viewer:

Log name: Application
Source:Application error
Event ID: 1000
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7a144
Faulting module name: SHELL32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18103, time stamp: 0x512d9f39
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005055a
Faulting process id: 0xccc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce989c1d719d5c
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
Report Id: 974e2e7c-0491-11e3-867f-386077e5715d

==================================================

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Event ID: 1001
Keywords: Classic

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: explorer.exe
P2: 6.1.7601.17514
P3: 4ce7a144
P4: SHELL32.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.18103
P6: 512d9f39
P7: c0000005
P8: 000000000005055a
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_explorer.exe_1f847a774b2fba0f069427a40b685bd8c501aff_14c3b5c5

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 974e2e7c-0491-11e3-867f-386077e5715d
Report Status: 0

This may seem to be a similar bug to the right click hangs explorer but if I understand descriptions in that thread correctly, this is different...

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit fully patched. This issue started occurring when I installed Classic Shell over 1 year ago (not happening before), has not changed with updates and a recent complete rebuild confirmed all worked as expected until the installation of Classic Shell when it right-clicking in the folder tree consistently crashes explorer (unless procdump is running)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

What version of Classic Shell do you have? Have you tried the latest beta version 3.9.0?
What components have you installed? Like Classic Explorer, Classic Start Menu, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 am 

I'm on version 3.6.8 with only Classic Explorer installed.

Haven't tried any Beta versions. Is this a known bug that should be fixed in the beta?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Well, the beta version has some significant changes (mostly to the start menu, but not only). So if the problem doesn't happen in 3.9.0 I would not spend much time investigating. Fixing bugs in 3.6.8 is not a priority at the moment because there is a new version coming.
Try it. Maybe it will work better with procdump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:30 am 

I don't know, however the beta has a lot of reworked code, so its sort of a broad spectrum approach.. (no sense hunting down a bug in an old version, if its no-longer producible in the new version anyways)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 pm 

Exactly the same behaviour on 3.9.0, sorry :-( This has been happening on all versions for well over a year now. I've been updating each time hoping that it might be fixed, but it never is, so thought I would bring it to your attention...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Any luck using procdump in 3.9.0? If it still doesn't catch anything, try procdump -e 1. It will create a dump on the first exception. Maybe I'll see something useful in it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 pm 

It's suddenly started working. I haven't changed anything that I know of, but I'll keep an eye on it and keep you posted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:41 am 

I have exactly the same behavior, this also applies to right click on files. Any right click causes explorer to crash. Attached is 2 dmp files, one normal and the second one with the parameter procdump -e 1.
Running win 8.1 (Updated 26th August) and the latest classic shell from the 25th of August. I have tried to uninstall/reinstall without any luck.

If I uninstall right click works fine.
It stopped working properly once I updated to win 8.1 from win 8.0 for about 1 month ago.
Otherwise Lovely product!

keep up the work.

Cheers

Attachments:
explorer_130826_124615.rar [592.72 KiB]
Downloaded 1406 times
explorer_130826_123026.rar [713.65 KiB]
Downloaded 1251 times
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Admin

@petri2000 - Looks like your crash is in a file called ElbyVCDShell.dll, which is part of Virtual Clone Drive software. It doesn't mean that this software is the culprit, but at the moment it is the prime suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:07 am 

what should i do?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Admin

It is possible that Virtual Clone Drive software is not compatible with Windows 8.1. Uninstall it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 am 

Yeah, either uninstall that Elby software or find and unregister ElbyVCDShell.dll from an elevated cmd prompt: regsvr32 /u ElbyVCDShell.dll to stop the crashes.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 am 

GauravK wrote:
Yeah, either uninstall that Elby software or find and unregister ElbyVCDShell.dll from an elevated cmd prompt: regsvr32 /u ElbyVCDShell.dll to stop the crashes.

Thanks dudes!
This worked!

Keep up the good work!

Love the classic shell!

Cheers,

Petri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:12 pm 

Hello.

I just got a computer with Windows 8 last week, and I installed Classic Shell at the same time. I've been having this same problem ever since. Not that Windows Explorer crashes every time I right click, like the OP's problem. But that it does it often. I've tried two different version of Classic Shell (the beta, and the latest stable release). I downloaded ProcDump, but I was unable to follow the rest of the instructions to set it up because when I ran it, it simply closed right away (it displayed a lot of text that I was unable to read before it closed).

So I created dump files with each crash via Windows Task Manager. The problem is that these files are extremely large. I'm talking, 300-400mb a piece. Thus, I simply can't upload them here, nor would I expect anyone to take the time to download them. Does anyone know what I did wrong with ProcDump?

Also, while I have the attention of whoever's in charge: Regarding the upcoming Windows 8 update, they are going to put a half-assed "start button" back in to the standard position on the taskbar of the desktop. However, it's just going to be a link back to the Start Screen that contains all the apps, not the classic Start Menu. Is this going to interfere with Classic Shell's Start Menu that's located in the same place?

Last edited by HelloILoveYou on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Procdump is a command line tool. You need to run it from a command prompt.
If you still can't get it to work, you can upload the Task Manager dumps to Mediafire: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

Classic Shell 3.9.3 makes use of the Windows 8.1 start button and makes it behave as you would expect. Or you could replace it with the Classic Shell button, or any other button image.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47 pm 

Oh, another thing I just noticed: Since I downloaded the beta of Classic Shell, I've noticed that when I sort one folder by name, the sub-folders automatically sort by name as well. Changing the sub-folders automatically changes the main folder as well. This didn't appear to be a problem when I had the latest stable release of Classic Shell. Is this a bug, or a new feature?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:50 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Classic Shell 3.9.3 makes use of the Windows 8.1 start button and makes it behave as you would expect. Or you could replace it with the Classic Shell button, or any other button image.

So you're telling me that the classic Start Menu that pops up when clicking the Start Button is going away for good? :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 am 

Nope he's talking about the button, not the menu. The menu isn't going anywhere, neither is the button. You have a choice between the default Microsoft provided button or Classic Shell's button. :)

To create dumps using procdump, open a command prompt as administrator preferably.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:22 am 

I meant the Windows 7 Start Menu style will still be there? It won't prompt me to the Windows 8 Start Menu screen that has all the apps? Sorry to even ask, I just want to be sure, because there are technically two Start Menus for Windows 8 if you're using Classic Shell. :p

Okay, I just deleted Classic Shell, rebooted my computer, installed StartIsBack, and have come to this conclusion: It's a Windows 8 problem. I had the same problem with StartIsBack, and when I deleted both programs. So I guess I need to Google-Fu on how to fix the problem in Windows 8. It doesn't seem to be a Classic Shell problem after all. I've since re-installed Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am 

Everything will be intact. We haven't yet gone retarded and started removing features users want. :D

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 am 

GauravK wrote:
Everything will be intact. We haven't yet gone retarded and started removing features users want. :D

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:29 am 

You guys mention that ProcDump must be run through CMD, but I don't understand how to do that. I typed in the address to the procdump folder and the exe file, yet I continue to be told that it's not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I moved it to the C:\Windows folder and tried it again, and I can't get it running.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 am 

If procdump is copied to C:\Windows, then open as command prompt as administrator and simply type: procdump.exe -e Explorer.exe

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:59 pm 

I took my comp to an I.T. friend of mine, and he determined that the Windows Explorer crash was caused by AVG. Since this guy knows his stuff, and he insisted that all I really needed was the Windows Defender that came installed with Windows 8 (which functions like Microsoft Security Essentials), I uninstalled AVG. I'm using Windows Defender and MalwareBytes, and I hope I'll be fine. Sucks, I liked AVG for many years. But it's not worth the headache of Windows Explorer crashing all the time like it did.

Since I've uninstalled AVG, no problems.

Thank you guys for all of your help. I understand ProcDump better now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Good to know. I've been using AVG on Windows 7 for years with no such problems. You may be experiencing some incompatibility with Windows 8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm 

Yeah, me too. I used it on XP and Vista for years. But after Googling, it seems to be a common problem, I guess. Maybe they'll fix it in a later update.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:45 pm 

I had the same issues and AVG installed.

Now I am using Bitdefender. I'll keep you updated if the right-click issue is gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:51 pm 

It happens for me rather the same thing, i right click in explorer and crash Classic Explorer BUT not my windows just explorer..., i found a solution I right click on a folder on your desktop and it work again with the explorer.
I've last version of all programs all are up to date.

It comes from SPY BOT SEARCH AND DESTROY for me at first (I install it and... crash....) maybe it's combination (using AVG+AD AWARE) i thought.

Personally before installing SPY BOT i had no problems at all.

BUT the AVG update, a huge just come out. In reading i remember, than at the same time after my scan, i restarted computer and made the update finalization.... So the bug surely come from there.......

The bug happens on directory with many files in it at first it seems (my Users folder), (quick scan of files????). So the solution of the problem could be deactivate some quick scan.....

Personally i don't search a solution right now and even test anything above, I found a way to bypass.

So, I just right click on a folder on the desktop, and after all work fine...

First thing to do is shut down Windows defender for me, like all windows applications it's always hole in your security, time passed proved it.... But maybe we don't have the choice....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:08 pm 

Just uninstalled AVG and installed Bitdefender. Right-Click issue is gone. I think it's time to blame AVG for that :) !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 pm 

I disinstall Spy Bot and I completely forget the problem lol ... I have still AVG + AD aware since my last post and no bug anymore. It's for me a conflict between program install or something like that.

For me, the problem don't come from AVG.

I have windows defender OFF (of course).....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:48 pm 

Just happen again................. :evil: it seems AVG could be to blame finally ..........