It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 am 

Hi,

The explorer is lacking multi-tab functionality, as we're all used to with Firefox or Chrome. There are a few programs (ie other explorer add-on) which do it, but they're closed-source and/or not free. Could it be added into a future version of out EX-CEL-LENT Classic Shell ?

Regards
CW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:11 am 

There is already an excellent free app called QTTabBar which adds tabs to Explorer.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 am 

ya, QTTab bar seems to work perfectly with Classic Shell, they share the same toolbar space, QTtab on the left, Classic Shell on the right..

its like they were made for each other

Here's a Screenshot of how they look together.. (i'm still in the process of editing some of my Classic Shell Icons)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:09 am 

and heres a more minimalistic screenshot of how i got it setup ( i use it personally and its fairly stable/customizable)
Note: some of the buttons i have on my command bar aswell as in classic shell, but thats because im in the process of modifying my command bar when i get the time :P

Attachments:
New Bitmap Image (3).jpg [69.86 KiB]
Downloaded 6139 times
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm 

how do u put only some buttons on the command bar?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 pm 

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-customize-windows-explorer-command-bar-aka-folder-band-or-toolbar-in-windows-vista-and-7-add-cut-copy-paste-delete-rename-undo-and-many-other-useful-buttons/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:11 am 

Here's a simple GUI tool to customize the command bar: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.16 Between the Classic Explorer toolbar and the command bar, all commands in Explorer fit on two compact rows vs the abominable ribbon. It's a good idea to put those commands on the command bar which the Classic Explorer toolbar doesn't have.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:51 am 

was actually looking for something like that (i think ive seen it b4 but lost the link to it) thanks :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 am 

wow, cool program, thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 am 

hey guaravK

any chance you know a way(program or tutorial) to add custom buttons (like to a user defined folder, or .exe) to the command bar?, that seems to be the only thing the program you linked lacks..
ive been tinkering around with the registry, and i might figure it out sooner or later, but a tutorial with what keys to add where would be nice :P

and anything for the status bar?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 am 

AFAIK unfortunately, neither the command bar nor the Ribbon can have any custom command, that is why the Classic Explorer Toolbar exists. :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

surely with the right registry tweak?
also
QTTabsbar (build 113 or whatever the latest from Quizzio is) has a button it adds to the command bar "open in tab" when a folder is selected (its a little buggy/ and doesnt work in all folder types but its there...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:39 am 

i just downloaded the build 128 Beta 1 (was using stable build 66 before)

but im not seeing that button, and cant seem to find a way to turn it on... did you activate it or was it a default

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 am 

go to C: directory, and select a folder, that should add the button
im pretty sure it was on by default

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 pm 

oh, i see it, its in the regular Windows ribbon thing .. i thought u meant up on the tabs level or something..

ya, thats a cool feature.. thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:43 pm 

I was going to suggest the same thing, however upon reading this thread I installed QTTab bar as suggested. The Classic Explorer bar disappeared and no tab functionality appeared. Opening the View menu, expanding the Options menu and selecting QTTabBar caused Explorer to freeze for a minute before a menu bar appeared with tabs. The ability to right click and open in a new tab also became enabled, along with other QQTabBar features. Enabling the Classic Explorer Bar from the same Options menu places the toolbar on the same level as the tabs, still on the right.

Both tools are excellent. Linux has had tabbed explorers for years and I can't believe Microsoft is yet to adopt this feature. I persisted with the new Start menu for years, since it wasn't that bad. With my upgrade to 8.1 the search function became sluggish and irrelevant. I was just going to do the registry fix which I've known about for ages, but it does not seem to be an option on this updated version of Windows 8. I am now happy to have the classic start menu back. The XP styled explorer is also excellent. Already donated :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 am 

I agree, they really should have.. I think its because there has been no real competition to windows explorer unlike internet explorer; which was driven by firefox

(honestly I dont see a reason the browser cant be designed for local file browsing to (full fledged) and were I in charge of chrome; I would make that happen (especially since chrome OS is a thing))