It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 pm 

Hi All,

My apologies for this post. I could not search the site for "RT" (too few characters/words); "Windows RT" error'd out just like searching for "RT"; and "Windows" returned too many irrelevant results.

Is anyone able to install to Windows RT? Are there any known workarounds?

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Classic Shell does not support Windows RT. First, none of the Windows binaries work at all on RT because of the different CPU architecture, and second, Windows RT doesn't allow for desktop apps to be installed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Classic Shell does not support Windows RT. First, none of the Windows binaries work at all on RT because of the different CPU architecture, and second, Windows RT doesn't allow for desktop apps to be installed.

Thanks. I forgot about lack of Desktop apps....

Would you happen to know: will Windows 8.1 (currently in preview) allow Desktop apps?

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:10 pm 

No there is no change of policy in Microsoft's plans. Desktop apps by default cannot run on Windows RT unless you do the so called "jailbreaking" and that is something only for uber-geeks if you can break through their Code Integrity mechanisms, completely unsupported. In fact the older jailbreaking method doesn't work for Windows RT 8.1.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:48 pm 

GauravK wrote:
No there is no change of policy in Microsoft's plans. Desktop apps by default cannot run on Windows RT...

That's unfortunate. I hope the folks who thought tiles on a tablet and desktop were a good idea are fired. Ditto for the folks who thought it was a good idea to remove the start button from the desktop. In all fairness, I love tiles on a phone.

GauravK wrote:
...unless you do the so called "jailbreaking" and that is something only for uber-geeks if you can break through their Code Integrity mechanisms, completely unsupported. In fact the older jailbreaking method doesn't work for Windows RT 8.1.

I've been contemplating that. This tablet is nearly unusable from a stability and usability standpoint (for me); but I don't want to taint it for my work environment. For those who are interested (from XDA): RT Jailbreak Tool Lets Users Install Non-Microsoft Executables on Windows RT.

OT: have you found a USB/Ethernet NIC adapter that actually works for the RT tablet? Its required by Microsoft for remote debugging (see Remote debugging on Windows RT), but I think its mythical like unicorns and leprechauns. I have only found one chipset with RT drivers (AX88x72A device), but it breaks the touchcover's keypad and mousepad.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:41 pm 

Ivo wrote:
... none of the Windows binaries work at all on RT ...

In case you are interested (from XDA): Can ARM desktop programs be built using visual studio 2012? I'd be happy to test something for you (I dislike RT that much).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 am 

noloader wrote:
OT: have you found a USB/Ethernet NIC adapter that actually works for the RT tablet? Its required by Microsoft for remote debugging (see Remote debugging on Windows RT), but I think its mythical like unicorns and leprechauns. I have only found one chipset with RT drivers (AX88x72A device), but it breaks the touchcover's keypad and mousepad.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Jeff

Just registered to be able to reply
It's no myth ;-)
got one here that works just fine with my WinRT tablet ( Unity games development ) without it i would be pretty much f*cked: debugging/deploying for tests over Wifi is nearly impossible, at least with my setup ( horrible Wifi connection speed issues, connection loss etc.. )

This is the model i use:
Digitus DN-10050-1
EAN4016032315285
http://www.mts-shop.eu/components/compu ... h3o1gpcdl3

Apparently all other adapters using the same chipset work too, thats because that chipset is the ONLY one whith leaked WinRT drivers, until Microsoft forced the manufactorer to put them offline.
The chipset is called AX88772, heres the link, but as i said you will not find WinRT drivers there
http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op= ... =86;71;101

To get those drivers to a google search for "AX88772B_772A_772_WinRT_Driver_v3.16.0.1807.zip" ;-)

BTW: via policy editing on the WinRT side, you are able to tweak the system similar to the desktop Windows 8, of course without the option to run x86 code. Don'T know about the Microsoft certifaction breaking or how easy that might be, as i simply use it to test my Unity Games on the WinRT device...

Edit:
Ahh - had missed you already posted about those drivers...