It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 am 

Each time I restart the PC I get a Classic Shell window that I must click 'OK' in order for it to run.

Enclosed is a screen shot of said window plus the CS_Log file for someone to look at. This window never appeared previous to my repair of the startup application(see Bug Report of Creators Update Issue)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
File comment: Log File
CS_Log.txt [145.88 KiB]
Downloaded 790 times
File comment: Startup Screen Shot
CSstartupWindow.jpg [339.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:37 am 

Your Startup folder contains a shortcut to ClassicStartMenu.exe with the -Settings parameter. Here's what you need to do to fix it.

Press Win+R keys together to open the Run dialog.

Type the following in the Run dialog:
shell:startup

and press OK/Enter.

The Startup folder will now open.

Right click the Classic Start Menu shortcut and click Properties. It will open with the "Shortcut" tab active.

From the "Target" field, remove the "-settings" part and click OK so instead of:

"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -settings

the target should become:

"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe"

Click OK to close the Properties.

Now, the window will not open at startup.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:53 am 

I thought about it before your response Gaurav and removed the startup short cut in user>(my name)>app data>roaming>microsoft>windows>startup>programs ( i think that is the right sequence) but you know what I'm talking about. That stopped the window opening upon each restart.

When I ran the shell:startup in Run mode I got an error message ''windows can not find shell startup''
wonder why that is when the app clearly starts.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 am 

I'm wondering why all this started to happen in the first place. When 4.3.0 came out due to the Redstone 1 release all was well.
With the Redstone 2 (Creators update) 4.3.0 seemed to work fine also. Still at a loss as to why the app stopped working properly in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 pm 

It looks like you copied the Settings shortcut to the Startup folder by mistake.

Try opening C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and then modify the shortcut. The rest of the instructions are the same.

There are no problems reported by other users with Classic Shell and Windows 10 Creators Update except for the Taskbar texture skinning bug and the Explorer.exe hanging with too many threads.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.