It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 pm 

Hello,

I've been having this issue since installing Classic Shell on Windows 8.

If I am in a fullscreen game, such as League of Legends, and activity has come in, in one of my running programs that triggers a taskbar icon from the activity, such as a message in Skype (desktop, not metro app version) or SimpleMu (running with admin rights), it happens frequently that when I click on the screen to move in the game, it will kick me back to the desktop and minimize/tab me out of League of Legends. This never happened in Windows 7 under these same circumstances, and now it happens pretty much every time now since I installed Classic Shell. It's like it's somehow registering me clicking in the fullscreen window, as clicking on the taskbar. This does not happen when there is no activity in any of the items in the taskbar.

I've looked all through the settings and can find no way to fix this. It seems like a bug.

Please advise.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

You are saying it doesn't happen on Windows 7, and it happens on Windows 8 with Classic Shell.
Does it happen on Windows 8 without Classic Shell?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:39 pm 

I had Classic Shell installed from the minute I started using Windows 8 because I can't stand the Windows 8 native interface, so I've never done it personally without Windows 8. Just asked one of my friends who has Windows 8 and plays the same game and also uses Skype but does not use Classic Shell. He says that it does not happen to him.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Try to disable Classic Shell temporarily and see if the problem goes away (right-click on the start button and select 'Exit'). I don't see how the start menu can do anything to affect Skype.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 pm 

It's not affecting skype. It's affecting League of Legends, Skype is just one of the two programs I run that causes an icon change on the taskbar when there's activity in them. It's when one of them is showing the activity change, that it periodically pulls me out of the game...and only in full screen mode, not in Windows mode.

Should I still test what you're asking? And if so, how would I then re-enable Classic Shell? Also, will my current settings be saved?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, still test that. To run the start menu again simply run ClassicStartMenu.exe. Your settings will be preserved.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

Tested as you requested and in plain Windows 8 without Classic Shell running, I did not get pulled out of the fullscreen game when messaged in Skype and SimpleMU.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:23 pm 

Someone reported a similar issue with Start8: http://forums.stardock.com/444144/page/1/#3357691 and with the same game! Can it be that the game has an issue on Windows 8's hot corners?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 pm 

Thanks for looking into it. I appreciate the extra brainpower! Hot corners have been disabled in the Classic Shell options since the first day I had it installed. :) Also, it didn't take me out when I exited Classic Shell and had people message me in Skype and SimpleMU while in game. I left clicked, right clicked, and shift clicked all over the screen when I heard the messages come up. I'd think if it had a problem with hot corners, it definitely would have tabbed me out when I turned Classic Shell off.

I did notice, in a slightly unrelated vein, that when starting Civ 5 through Steam, I can see the little classic shell icon in the corner (but not the taskbar) in the first several branding splash screens it shows, but it disappears as soon as the Loading screen shows up.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

I just tested this again with another friend, and it seems to be triggered by a left click down in the left hand corner, ONLY when Classic Shell is running. I turned Classic Shell on and off again several times and had this friend message me in skype. It only happened when Classic Shell was on and then only when there was a new active icon in the taskbar. I have the taskbar set to autohide, and when a message comes in, it unhides it and shows the active icon.

Edit: I decided to test a bit further and turned off autohide and had my friend message me in skype while in game. This DID NOT pull me out, so it looks like an issue of when the taskbar, with Classic Shell installed, goes from autohide, to visible due to activity when in the game fullscreen.

Additional Edit: It seems to do the same thing in Civ 5. Classic shell installed, auto hide, unhidden by activity...click in lower left...pulls me out of game.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:43 pm 

Posting to see if there any updates of troubleshooting steps or resolutions. Please advise.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 pm 

I've had the same exact issue while playing Starcraft 2 and when using my work-at-home GUI. I'll be merrily typing on my GUI and suddenly I'll lose my cursor and my keystrokes will be redirected to the taskbar, causing all kinds of pinging and error sounds. While playing Starcraft, I'll be merrily playing the game and all of a sudden the taskbar will cause the game to minimize.

I love Classic Shell so I have been in denial about this issue, but I do think it is an issue with Classic Shell as I never had this problem before.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 pm 

BUMP. Any info on this?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

I am working on a new version that may or may not have any effect on this issue. We have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 am 

I'm also having this issue running Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead

When I'm rapidly clicking and dragging the mouse down and to the left the game minimizes (seemingly at random). I have reproduced this in-game by dragging the mouse to -- what would be -- the lower left corner of the desktop and pushing it just a tad up and to the right. I can't be sure which R/L mouse button I was clicking as I spent a minute or so trying to make it minimize. During regular game play, this occurs once every 20 minutes or so for me. While it's not a huge issue, it's still quite annoying. It would be awesome if you could find a fix for this!

Note: This is a game where you can't alt+tab to minimize; you have to cntl+alt+delete and then close the task manager. I wonder if there's a common trait here or if that just means my game is really old -- haha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:39 am 

I have had this same issue with Lord of the Rings Online and Neverwinter Nights.

Additionally, if I go afk in either game, it will either minimize it (which will cause the game to crash when I try to re-open it in the case of NWN) or turn my mouse into the windows mouse, leaving the game screen up but forcing me to alt tab to actually be able to interact with the game again (in the case of LotRO).

The full screen issue seems to affect watching movies as well. Either through media player such as a dvd or online like youtube or hulu even when I don't have any background programs running.

The shell version of IE seems to flash randomly, just like the active task bar issue, and that causes the minimizing of the movies in youtube or hulu, I think. As far as with media player, I have no idea...

I hate hate hate the tiles. So finding shell was a godsend. I do hope this can be fixed as it is rather annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 am 
Site Admin

What version of Classic Shell are you using?
Do you have any evidence that Classic Shell is the cause?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:56 am 

Version 3.6.8

As far as proof... It sounded like the same issue the OP and the following replier had, so I was giving info that might aid in the fix seeing as no "we have fixed this" "Hey awesome, thanks" posts had been made.

No, I have not disabled shell to check it because I do no know how to use the tiles and am afraid I would never get shell re-enabled after.

I guess for proof, I can say that this doesn't happen on my Windows Vista computer. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Try the latest version 4.0.2. It fixes some cases with the start button being on top of fullscreen programs. Your issue may be related.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 am 

I'll update and let you know.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:01 pm 

Well, I checked it after updating and it still does it.

It happens even if there are no other programs running in the background (as in on the task bar).

Oh well... Guess its just a left over "perk" of Win8.