It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm 
The idea behind this start button is that it lights up on a ten count indicating 'Go For Launch'. I was limited by what can be seen in a 40x40 pixel image. I tried a number of things and this was the result. Pretty close to what I intended. Counts 1 through 9 are in the outer ring. The tenth segment lights up the center and occurs when you press the button. I use a black windows theme and these colors go well with that.

This post inspired me to try and create something new:

http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4943

While obviously not the same, the author's creativity got me thinking about what I could do that I haven't yet thought of. This was the result.

Edit; Made some small tweaks to the geometry and color, picture has been updated (but has the same name as previously used).

Edit 2; Increased the resolution to 256x256, this allows you to scale the icon up and down better. I changed the colors so that the button will go with any windows color.

Edit 3; I deleted the original button. I prefer the alternate button much more. The alternate is available below.

Last edited by prop_design on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:56 pm 

I like this... Wish little more stronger colors, but it is very nice :)

Thank you.

Accept this answer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 pm 
thanks,

if you have some colors in mind post their rgb values or a sample of each. i'm am not 100% sure on the colors or the geometry. i may tweak it more, so suggestions are welcome. the biggest struggle is making something you can see at 40x40 pixels. I ended up with this geo so the blue lights could be seen but the center light is a little small. i thought about doing something in 3d too. so if anyone else wants to try and create something along similar lines you might get better results than me. i'm not the best with this sort of thing. the basic idea was a nasa launch indicator light that would go with the rocket countdown.

Edit:

I made some changes to the geometry and color. The updated image is above, it has the same name as previously used. I think you will find it a little easier to see. But let me know of some colors you want to see. It is pretty time consuming to change the colors, as I have to redo just about everything. So please be sure of your choices.

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:57 am 
Below is an alternative implementation of the same concept. Kind of hard to see the text though. The text says Go.

Edit; I tweaked the rendering settings and now the text is more legible. The attached picture has been updated. File has the same name as before.

Edit 2; I tried rendering the images at 256x256 pixels to get more detail on the text. I thought I would try and let ClassicShell scale the image down. I never tried this approach and was just guessing, but it worked pretty good. It also has the benefit of allowing you to change the size of the start button rather than being fixed at 40x40 pixels. However, at the default of 40x40 it is still hard to read the text, so I guess that is just how it will have to be. I updated the attached image.

Attachments:
Go For Launch Alt.png
Go For Launch Alt.png [ 53.19 KiB | Viewed 60153 times ]
Accept this answer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 am 
How does one go about getting the green check mark next to their post, to signify an animated start button?

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:01 am 

Both buttons are awesome! :P

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Accept this answer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:05 am 
Thanks Gaurav

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:06 am 

Hey, can I modify this?

Accept this answer