It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: IE jumplist
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:36 am 

The jumplist entries for recent sites under Internet Explorer (IE) do not work in my Classic Shell.

All other jumplists (e.g. for Microsoft Excel) that point to local files work fine.

On hovering over an IE jumplist entry, the hover-box text indicates the correct web address, but clicking an entry starts IE as expected but opens a cached address (e.g. C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\25D9CXJI\PBERZGMU) that does not work.

How can I fix this?

Post subject: Re: IE jumplist
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Does the jumplist work from the taskbar?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Also, you can try deleting the jumplist files to reset them. For IE they are
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\28c8b86deab549a1.automaticDestinations-ms
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\28c8b86deab549a1.customDestinations-ms

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:17 am 

Ivo wrote:
Does the jumplist work from the taskbar?

I don't have any jumplists on the taskbar. Not really sure what you mean. However, the exact same jumplist works fine from the Windows 10 start menu.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:26 am 

Ivo wrote:
Also, you can try deleting the jumplist files to reset them. For IE they are
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\28c8b86deab549a1.automaticDestinations-ms
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\28c8b86deab549a1.customDestinations-ms

Tried that - with surprising results. The jumplist changed to one containing shortcuts to various local files. Also the "Tasks" part disappeared. So I restored the deleted file and got back to "normal".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Site Admin

I meant - if you pin IE to the taskbar, do you get a different jumplist from the taskbar icon?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:56 am 

Ivo wrote:
I meant - if you pin IE to the taskbar, do you get a different jumplist from the taskbar icon?

Understood - just tried that and I get the exact same jumplist, but it works as one would expect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:12 am 

Just to be clear - I'm attaching some screen-dumps.

ScrDump1.jpg is my Classic Shell jumplist. These links don't work, as indicated in the original post:

If I click the button at the top-left [Start Menu (Windows)] I get the original (awful) Windows 10 menu as per ScrDump2.jpg. These jumplist entries work OK:

If, as suggested, I pin IE to the taskbar I get the jumplist shown in ScrDump3.jpg, which works OK:

So I think there might be a bug somewhere in Classic Shell. Surely I'm not alone in experiencing this.

Attachments:
File comment: Taskbar pin jumplist
ScrDump3.jpg
ScrDump3.jpg [ 30.06 KiB | Viewed 29283 times ]
File comment: Windows 10 jumplist
ScrDump2.jpg
ScrDump2.jpg [ 42.09 KiB | Viewed 29283 times ]
File comment: Classic Shell jumplist
ScrDump1.jpg
ScrDump1.jpg [ 63.47 KiB | Viewed 29283 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Got it. So the contents of the jumplist are correct, but the start menu does not launch them correctly.
Send me the contents of these two files:
Zip them together and attach them here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:26 am 

Ivo wrote:
Got it. So the contents of the jumplist are correct, but the start menu does not launch them correctly.
Send me the contents of these two files:
Zip them together and attach them here.

File attached.
My locations are a bit different to the ones you quoted. Mine are:
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations\
%APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations\

Attachments:
Al_42.zip [27.76 KiB]
Downloaded 781 times
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 am 

This thread seems to have gone very quiet. All I want to know is this: Does this phenomenon only apply to me? If that's the case then I'll go away and try to find what element of my setup is at fault.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:33 am 
Site Admin

I will take a look when I have some free time, which probably won't be until Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:29 am 

Al-42 wrote:
This thread seems to have gone very quiet. All I want to know is this: Does this phenomenon only apply to me? If that's the case then I'll go away and try to find what element of my setup is at fault.

You're not the only one.
I have exactly the same problem.

The problem started for me when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
I have the latest version of Classic Shell installed and I have also tried if reinstalling Classic Shell would solve the problem. Well, it didn't.
The jumplist from the taskbar icon works fine, but when using the jumplist from Classic Shell, it tries to open a (cached?) file in the Internet Cache folder for Internet Explorer.

I must say that sometimes, after I go to a new site with IE (new in the sense that it's not in the jumplist yet), the jumplist entry for that site opens the corresponding URL correctly.
But this situation is shortlived.
Clicking the jumplist entry for a second or third time will try to open the file in the Internet Cache folder instead of the URL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 am 

FriedChicken wrote:
Al-42 wrote:

You're not the only one.
I have exactly the same problem.

The problem started for me when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
I have the latest version of Classic Shell installed and I have also tried if reinstalling Classic Shell would solve the problem. Well, it didn't.
The jumplist from the taskbar icon works fine, but when using the jumplist from Classic Shell, it tries to open a (cached?) file in the Internet Cache folder for Internet Explorer.

I must say that sometimes, after I go to a new site with IE (new in the sense that it's not in the jumplist yet), the jumplist entry for that site opens the corresponding URL correctly.
But this situation is shortlived.
Clicking the jumplist entry for a second or third time will try to open the file in the Internet Cache folder instead of the URL.

Thanks for that. Nice to know it's not just me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 am 

I thought this problem had gone away after the latest W10 update this week. I clicked on one of the shortcuts in the IE jumplist and it worked perfectly.
Unfortunately it only worked the one time. When I tried it again it was back to the cache as before.