It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:10 am 

can anyone help me in Creating a Countdown Timer thats hidden?
I'm using the following Bat, but any suggestions on a complete rewrite would be cool

---------------------------------------------------
@echo 10 Second Timer
TIMEOUT /T 10 /NOBREAK
"L:\Tenzen's Data\Computing\Sounds\CoolAlarm.wav"
cls
----------------------------------------------------------

Right now it keeps the DOS window open while it counts down. its ok for this 10 second timer, but not something I'd want in a 1 hour timer..

any ideas on how to make it work?

thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 am 

1. Open notepad

2. paste this:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\New Text Document (2).bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

3. replace C:\New Text Document (2).bat with the location of your bat file
4. run this instead of your bat :P

and just so you know, it was the first result when googling "run a bat silently", although i know google is banned in china..., i heard there was a decent alternative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:48 am 

ya, its a vbs...

actually i was hoping to use shell execute

and i doubted that would work, since it sits and counts down

anyway, so u know...

I figured out a better method

nircmd.exe cmdwait 30000 execmd "L:\Tenzen's Data\Computing\Sounds\CoolAlarm2.wav"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am 

"ya, its a vbs... "
is that supposed to be sarcastic excitement?
whats wrong with vbs..?

but yea you could do it in nircmd, and its a great program to have anyways so I guess it may be better in the form of maintenance ( if your comp crashes, install classic shell and nircmd, then restore your xml and your back in buisness, without having to worry about where you put the .bat, and the .vbs file...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 am 

little too geeky...

honestly. i hate vbscript..

i personally think those languages & scripts are outdated & obsolete, and are only kept in use by people who feel they are smarter than other people because they learn that crap...

or by people who are trying to secure a job field..

i think they should have all been replaced by higher level languages long ago.. and would have were it not for the writers actually enjoying that syntax

its illogical, confusing, and outright silly... its intentionally made cryptic & confusing.. its quasi-intellectual

there is no reason they cant have normal words. and a program which reads shortcut words and puts in the normal form for people who cant type fast enough to be very productive..

silly..

anyway thats my take..

its easy to copy and paste a little code here and there, but if you dont comprehend exactly everything it entails, then you really arent doing anything productive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 am 

yea it may be a little 'geeky', and honestly i don't use it often.. i just googled the question and that was the first answer that came up :P,
and even if you don't comprehend everything it does entirely.. your still completing your goal.. it took me all of 3 seconds to notice a filepath, and guess that it should be the filepath of my .bat file..., even though you couldn't do much more modding than that without a bit of research..

@natral speech programming; there have been several attempts at this, most of which failed miserably.. because speech, is hardly ever straight forward, and can easily be miss interpreted/translated, especially across languages...

ive actually taken several different programming classes, and a semester of german.. guess what.. i cant speak german at all (other than counting to 10 :P, and understanding a few words here and there), yet i can read most programming languages and understand the gist of what they do, and make basic changes, even if ive never seen the language before in my life.

yes figuring out exactly how to write this and that can be frustrating and confusing, but the challenge makes it all the more rewarding when you get it right :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

well, i think everyone has different skills they wish to pursue, and different things they enjoy... everyone's given a different gift.

its the reason no one person can ever create a proper Corporate Website..

the people who enjoy/are good at coding a web page are not the same people who enjoy/ are good at design, and neither one of them are the best person for engineering the flow & useability.. it takes a team, of many different job preferences & skill sets

and this is the main problem.... Those programming languages were written by people who enjoy coding in binary... its easy to get caught up in your own idea for a solution, and the solutions they present make sense to themselves and they suppose everyone else will see it their way... and many people derive satisfaction from following uber-stringent syntax and its no wonder they feel satisfaction in getting it right, since its not often they get it right

its the same reason people watch Association Football... the Assocers make 1 or 2 points a game.. U can pay me 20 million to run out there and miss goals all day long, I can do it just as well... but after an hour of trying, when they do finally make a goal, the entire stadium goes bazonkers and starts slapping each other silly.. because, like in programming.. victories are few and far between

anyway, it should be more WYSIWYG.. MS Visual Studio's Visual Basic has some pretty good graphical tools that you just click to add.. it almost makes it appear to be user-friendly.. but it still has a very long way to go, and I think the main problem is that the people writing those programs (and this is Microsofts problem across the board) are the same people making decisions about how they should be written & how they should be used..

and vbscript isnt even as user-friendly as VB

what needs to happen is some design-engineers, and Useability Engineers need to be hired to make those decisions, then the people writing the programs get told what to do, and they figure out how to do it.. instead of letting the code-crazy geeksquad decide the fate & future of programming languages..

anyway, nircmd.exe is very useful doesnt require referencing any external Bat or VBS files.. though i prefer Bat because of its usefulness without having to know excessive scripts... and im happy not to have vbs files on my system..

but honestly.. if a Bat cant do it, and u think u need a vbs, there's usually a program already made that can do what u need done.. and if theres not, anyone would be better off learning VB and coding their own new program, a far more useful skill.. than monkeying around with vbs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 am 

"happy not to have .vbs files on my system"

"but honestly.. if a Bat cant do it, and u think u need a vbs, there's usually a program already made that can do what u need done.. and if theres not, anyone would be better off learning VB and coding their own new program, a far more useful skill.. than monkeying around with vbs"

just cause you dont aprove of coding in it, doesnt mean you should ban it from your system?, sure use a language your familiar with to code what you need, IF you need to, but why waste the time if 30 seconds of research leads you to a perfectly good script.., that even without understanding is simple enough to know it isnt a virus...

@Wysiwyg
yes it would be nice if coding was more wysiwyg, especially for the common stuff and for some compilers have it.. but there always has to be a back end, because thats where the magic happens :P

any programming language has potential for a wysiwyg editor.. even if it hasnt been developed

also ive worked with binary before.. its not fun.. :P