It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 am 

Just went from Win 8.1 to Win 10 last night and got an unpleasant surprise with the latter's limited display color settings, compared to earlier versions of Windows where one can adjust intensity, saturation, hue and brightness. So I've been playing with Classic Shell's settings for the taskbar. But the latter appears to present something of a catch-22: low or no opaqueness eliminates the top border, while increasing opaquness lacks the contrast I had with previous versions of Windows. Is that (seeming) border in the earlier Windows something the OS controls or could Classic Shell conceivably add it? I've attached a screenshot of the taskbar on my Win 7 laptop, the same display settings I also used in Win 8 (didn't touch CS's settings in Win 8 as I recall).

P.S. Not sure why, but this forum is not scaling to the browser window on the posts screen; i.e., In Opera 12, IE11 and FF4x, when I save this and see the post, it's like the text is magnified to 150% or so, with a scroll bar added down below. Even the forums list text seems magnified, tho it does fit in the browser window. With Opera 39, the text is as small as I'm seeing right now typing, but the page still isn't scaling to the browser window.

Attachments:
Win 7-8 taskbar.JPG
Win 7-8 taskbar.JPG [ 24.31 KiB | Viewed 13225 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:05 am 

You can try the current Beta version of Classic Shell. You can use taskbar images with it to get the border. Sadly the icon backgrounds can't be regained in Windows 10, but Classic Shell's beta can be used to get Windows 7-like taskbars via static images. As for the aero blur, that can be gained via the AeroGlassGUI tool downloaded via glass8.eu but you'll need the AeroGlass mod for that. You can get that from glass8.eu as well. Just be careful which one you get. The one for 8.1+ works on Windows 8.1 to 10 v1511.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:57 pm 

Thanks. The Beta does offer something more of a border, whether via transparent or glass view. I'll have to take a look at AeroGlassGUI. I downloaded and unzipped it, but will have to read how it works. I wish these settings could carry over to title bars and such.

As for the forum appearance, from looking at several threads it seems to vary. Sometimes it's the first post that runs off the page, sometimes the second, while the others are ok. Your reply formats within the borders. Not sure what to make of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:21 pm 

highstream wrote:
Thanks. The Beta does offer something more of a border, whether via transparent or glass view. I'll have to take a look at AeroGlassGUI. I downloaded and unzipped it, but will have to read how it works. I wish these settings could carry over to title bars and such.

As for the forum appearance, from looking at several threads it seems to vary. Sometimes it's the first post that runs off the page, sometimes the second, while the others are ok. Your reply formats within the borders. Not sure what to make of it.

No prob. As for the AeroGlassGUI, it requires the AeroGlass mod from glass8.eu. Once you have that installed you can choose how much blur you want by adjusting the slider. There's also a slider for adjusting the glass reflection intensity. It comes in fairly useful.

Also, i think it's the screenshots causing the posts to go past the borders. I'm noticing your first post in this thread is doing that, but the screenshot appears to be the cause.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:08 pm 

Just tried to install Aero Glass and got the error in the lower screenshot. What should I make of it? Then there's the Aero Glass for Win8.1 etc. on the desktop right on top of the trash icon (moved the latter a little). What's with that? Thanks,

Yes, I think you're right about the page sizing, although I would think the forum coding would scale it. But then there's the text size, which is magnified in some browsers and not in others.

Attachments:
Aero Glass location.JPG
Aero Glass location.JPG [ 11.94 KiB | Viewed 13180 times ]
Aero Glass install error.JPG
Aero Glass install error.JPG [ 28.82 KiB | Viewed 13180 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:54 pm 

highstream wrote:
Just tried to install Aero Glass and got the error in the lower screenshot. What should I make of it? Then there's the Aero Glass for Win8.1 etc. on the desktop right on top of the trash icon (moved the latter a little). What's with that? Thanks,

Yes, I think you're right about the page sizing, although I would think the forum coding would scale it. But then there's the text size, which is magnified in some browsers and not in others.

Ignore the incompatability message. That happens in Windows 10. It still works, just ignore the message. It will pop up every time you login but it's not an issue. AeroGlass still works. As for the text in the bottom right corner, that's just a watermark. It can be removed by donating $5 USD to BigMuscle via the website but that's practically all that gets effected.