It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Absolutely brilliant!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:06 pm 

In the Windows world, I would not be without Classic Shell.

A couple of years ago, I was struggling with the total frustration of Windows Server 2012's start menu, and Classic Shell came to the rescue. Within minutes of installing, I had my productivity -- and my sanity -- back! I could finally get back to work without the constant struggle.

Fast forward to November 2015, and of course I just "had" to upgrade to Windows 10. Upgrade I did, and for the most part I like it.

However the start menu again has turned out to be a stumbling block. Specifically, I searched and search to find a way to bring back the ever-so-useful "Recent Items" menu. I used the "Recent Items" menu many times a day in Windows 7.

There seemed to be NO WAY to do it in Windows 10. Google search after Google search turned up nothing.

Within seconds (literally) of installing Classic Shell on W10, voila! The old standby "Recent Items" is back, in all its glory. And as a huge bonus I got a Windows-7-like menu with a Windows 10 facelift -- all with every customization I could ever want.

And yes, I donated. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:55 pm 

Thanks Classic Shell. I hated Win8. Reinstalled 7 as soon as I tried it. But time marches on and 7 is being cast aside as XP was, So time to find a way to live with it. And frankly, what a POC. Every "improvement" they made, makes using windows more difficult. Wasting days to relearn what, by now, have been the basics.

First, the lack of the Start menu was a paramount DeadFish for me. So, fighting through the resource hogging win update, I tried to get one. I tried some version of Start8 or the like, filled with extra junk it wanted to trick you into downloading, and topping the menu with add buttons. That in itself, maybe I could have hacked past, but it was a huge resource hog on its own.

Whenever You click the start button, you wait, go get a coffee wait. I was born in 64, I DON'T GOT THAT KIND OF TIME. So, Luckily my second attempt, before deleting 8 again, Was ClassicShell's start menu. Perfect, fast and snappy, correct items and locations for me, easy to customize, NO EXTRAS!. Really, that's all I can ask for.

Now the only question, since I opted no when I installed, how can I install the rest of ClassicShell app options without reinstalling my start menu.

Huge kudos you all. well done.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:21 pm 

kerplunk wrote:
Windows 8.x UI was a massive balls up by MS and this hasn't really been addressed in 10 other than a big mad fudge! The efforts by you guys to put back in place the usable interface that MS discarded so foolishly is hugely appreciated! Many thanks for now making the decision to update OS not seem like a shot in the foot!

2 feature requests:

1) Every time I press the "Classic Shell" button, could Steve Balmer receive a mild electric shock?
2) To allow me to use Win 10, could you add a "Stop Windows behaving like a Google Product" option to prevent my life being spooled back to MS servers?

These should help Windows get back on track!

Cheers!

I gotta go along with you, Both 1 and 2. Especially #2. For real, software developers, stop stalking us and turning every part of our lives over to the Government(s).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:49 pm 

@2) To allow me to use Win 10, could you add a "Stop Windows behaving like a Google Product" option to prevent my life being spooled back to MS servers?

If this is a legitimate feature request, there is a forum for it. and this might be relevant (if you haven't already done it) http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable- ... indows-10/ as for googles spying. They offer a 'free' service in a world where nothing is free (yes they have to pay for their servers, and coders) Its only natural they receive some form of compensation. Personally I don't care about aggregate advertisement data. Its when things start getting personal, that it bothers me...
(I'm not saying spying is the right course, just the most profitable)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:19 pm 

My first post on a forum is normally an introductory post, but in this case I am so impressed that the thank you is more important, will surely be donating...

"kiwi"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:49 am 

Just want to add my thanks (and donation) for this great little utility :)

Has helped to soften the pain when moving from XP to Win 7 recently.

Hoping to stay on Win 7 til 2020 providing I can stop MS$ automatically installing Win 10. I'm using another great utility GWX from Ultimate Outsider to help fight that battle ;)

Alan
UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:52 am 

this start menu program is so fast and efficient, I had to create a post for thanking the author for creating such a great software that replaces the old start. It's faster, and the search box is perfect. Exactly how I would have wished! I still can't believe its free. I love the hover to open feature that xp had that .now I have on Windows 7. Also, the author is a great person, answering my personal admin requests to get an account registered correctly. That's off his own time, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:34 pm 

A friend of mine just told me about Classic Shell and wow! Such an excellent program and its free! I hated Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 10 and I do like it for the most part except I find the Windows 10 start menu so clunky.

Now I have the option to make my start menu look like the way I want it to! At the moment I have it set as Classic Style with Windows XP Luna skin. Goodbye clunky Windows 10 start menu. And I've donated! Its totally worth it. I've still got to play with Classic Explorer Setting and Classic IE Settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:42 am 

A big thanks to all CSM team which worked hard !

A special thanks to Juniper7 , Jcee and Gaurav for their kind help when I needed to understand some features:)

My wish list for 2016 as feature:

skin the taskbar :)

happy new year all

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 pm 

Great, I donated for it. Finally I can work with this OS without frustrations

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 pm 

This (master)piece of software is the reason that new Windows' (post XP) don't suck. It was worrying change when in Vista/7 you were restricted to use minimal space, but then with Windows 8 came this... something... I think that drugs that were being taken by designers/programmers during brainstorming that lead to that "invention" should be banned if it isn't already a case. And the thing in Windows 10 isn't much better. It's just not fullscreen.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:50 pm 

The added picture below shows a Classic Shell Start Menu within Windows 10 desktop screenshot.

Thanks so much to Classic Shell developers and supporters in forum. You guys did a great job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:24 am 

mind = blown

So lean, clean, crisp, solid, intuitive, ingenious, non-invasive, option-packed and empowering.

So much respect for system resources, system integrity, user time, user control and users in general.

The option to backup settings nearly gave me a joygasm.

I've never felt so compelled to donate for free software.

Every day, I'm going to pray to the FSM that you guys design an entire OS some day.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:50 am 

Thanks VeganCaramel, that's one of the nicest compliments anyone has ever given Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:40 am 

Having a Classic Start Menu made every version of Windows since 7 a more user friendly experience. It shouldn't be a head scratcher to figure out how to start programs and Classic Shell solves a lot of problems for me. Thanks a ton guys!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:16 pm 

Classic Shell is really one precious board with great Classic Buttons options.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:46 pm 

Thank you to Ivo and everyone else who helps out with Classic Shell. I have been using it for years on my Windows 7 machines and also on my Vista, Seven, 8.1 and Ten VMware Virtual machines. It really looks good and makes my life easier. Microsoft developed the Start Menu with 95 and after XP seem to have lost their way and have completely lost the plot with Windows 10.
Indianatone

Attachments:
File comment: This is a Start Menu !
2016-04-16 21_43_49-Greenshot.png [696.49 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:10 pm 

I am SO grateful for Classic Shell! I stumbled upon it right after Windows 10 automatically installed on my computer in August of 2015 and I was looking online for how to get back to Windows 7 (Restore would not work).

Classic Shell works beautifully with Windows 10 that updated on my 2007 HP Pavilion tower/desktop and I could not restore back to Windows 7 (yes, I tried everything). I know, 2007 is technically "old", but I've done my own upgrades (more RAM, new hard drive, etc) over the years and this PC is working great, especially with Classic Shell!

I'm not a "gamer" or anything like that. I do mostly Microsoft Office documents and machine embroidery digitizing, in addition to email/Internet, so this PC is fine for me (I have a "back-up" two year old AIO Vizio with Windows 8.1 if/when this HP bites the dust).

Two days after Windows 10 updated I tried to restore Windows 7; Windows 10 said that the Windows.old file had been deleted...NO, it had not been. It was right where it should be (I've since renamed the file so Windows 10 wouldn't do the automatic deletion 30 days later).

...the other PCs/laptops in my household are still on Windows 7 & 8.1...I did not allow them to go to Windows 10.

Anyway, had it not been for Classic Shell, I surely would have lost my mind being stuck with Windows 10 on my primary PC. But thankfully, Classic Shell lets me see my old Windows Start Menu, etc. so I didn't have a complete mental meltdown. I continue to try to "like" Windows 10 but without Classic Shell, it just isn't going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:02 am 

Thank you very much for your product and work. Now can't imagine Windows 7 without Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:00 am 

Hello to everyone here! I just found out about Classic Shell, and it's made by a fellow countryman, no less!

I am in awe. Inspired, excited and alive again! Thank you for that!

Yasso

Attachments:
File comment: So inspired that I immediately set to work on my own set of of start buttons. Attaching here, not sure this is the right place though. Enjoy!
win_10_start_button_yasso2.png
win_10_start_button_yasso2.png [ 5.6 KiB | Viewed 2521260 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 am 

The best place for start buttons would be here: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:39 am 

Classic Shell is the best thing ever happened to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 ! Thank you so much !!! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 pm 

Thanks for existing, Classic Shell. You gave us the little personalization Windows took away, and improved it by ten.

Attachments:
Differences.png
Differences.png [ 50.97 KiB | Viewed 2517978 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:43 am 

cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 pm 

Why is this thread permanently marked as unread?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:05 am 

Its not always unread, it just very frequently has new post.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:53 am 

Jcee wrote:
Its not always unread, it just very frequently has new post.. :)

Well I mean the same post remained "unread" for a while after I'd read it. Anywaves, seems our posting on the thread has resolved the issue .__.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:15 am 

Thanks to all of you for great work

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:06 pm 

Thank you guys for your work, u r doing well!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:50 pm 

ClassicShell 4.2.5 went wonky with W10 Upgrade. Tried to install 4.2.5c with message, need to Uninstall.
Well, uninstall was not cooperating and after much head scratching. I found CSUtility.
Amazing what having the right tool will do...... ;-)
Thank you!

Edit: just found FAQ's >
What is the right way to uninstall Classic Shell?
To uninstall Classic Shell follow these steps:
  1. Stop the start menu if it is installed (right-click on the start button and select “Exit”)

My bad re "Exit".....
LUV to CS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:52 pm 

wow, many people review CS, i must try first before give word 'thanks'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am 

saviour of windows 10 i love you guys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:54 pm 

;_; THANK YOU FOR FIXING EVERYTHING

(caps)

Yours truly: A delighted Windows 10 user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:55 pm 

hey, classic-shell … just wanted to say i really appreciate your dedication and insight with creating classic-shell. i have read lots of positive feedback on several different forums. also do my part by spreading the word to others less fortunate. if not for classic-shell … i'd still be pulling my hair out with microsoft's funky gimmicks.

you guys have truly given hope to many out there who struggle on a daily basis to make sense of changing attitudes 'n landscapes … we commend you for it. veritably, i woulda' given up on microsoft and switched to mac … had it not been for classic-shell. the volunteers in the forum are well-informed (thanks, ivo) and knowledgeable. if i was a programmer … i'd hop onto the bandwagon and help you guys out even more.

lots of thanks from me and the undernet.

Attachments:
File comment: current desktop (with classic shell menu)
Image1.png
Image1.png [ 315.86 KiB | Viewed 2507495 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 am 

Thank You Classicshell !!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:41 am 

work which is surely deserving of a reasonable shareware purchase contribution by all its users, including myself. Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:29 pm 

This is awesome, I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:13 am 

The great shell and a great add on to all windows after 7, even I use it with win 7. It must be used by everyone for windows as it takes very less ram for running. Iam really happy with classicshell. Thank you. :) ;)

Post subject: Thanks so much!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:41 am 

I truly hate the Windows 10 start menu. Thanks so much for making me feel sane again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:26 am 

Classic shell is the best, I feel sane again!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 am 

I love this thread)) But really, classic shell - thank you for your work. This add gives significant improvement. I think everybody should use it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:14 pm 

I am thankful that classic shell was made because now my entire computer looks like Windows 7. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:58 am 

Thanks!!! This has saved my life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:54 am 

THANK YOU FOR CLASSIC SHELL!!!
I can't say it enough, and even though I/my employer donated twice, no amount of praise is enough for you and your company.

I appreciate the dynamic at Microsoft, but I think the Start Menu is a component/element should be largely left alone, due to it being such a familiar element and core feature of the OS. Thankfully, we have ClassicShell around to ensure that such a recognizable element remains a core identifiable feature.

Again, thank you Classic Shell!!

-Lawrence Winstead
IT Manager
DuraTech Industries Int'l Inc.
Jamestown, ND

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:13 am 

Thank you everyone for the appreciation and donations.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:28 am 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D brilliant program!! what more can be said?
thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:08 pm 

I am so happy to be part of the forum, and be part of the millions that downloaded Classic Shell. I was a big fan of Windows XP, and thanks to this app, it's boosted my way of becoming a graphic designer. I would recommend this 100% to the people that want a little bit of a change to the Start Menu, button, and taskbar.

Once again, thank you so much for creating this application. I would donate if I could, but I need to use my money for other stuff (I'll donate someday, however).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:40 pm 

Thank you. This product is (1) one of the most important innovations in my day-to-day life in years, and (2) one of the most important stands against the Evil Empire that there is.

If I had money I would give you more of it, but then, if I had money I'd buy a machine from some company not in the Evil Empire. So I gave my five bucks. Drop in the bucket. I thought I was just rewarding some guy that had a clever idea once, but I see now, this is an ongoing fight. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck them with a pointy cactus.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:45 am 

Thank you so much for Classic Shell, without which, I could not function. Microsoft has nerfed their entire operating system since 2008, and it is your program which has restored operation to my computer. I can't imagine ever purchasing a computer in the future without with program onboard. Thank you, thank you, a million times, thank you!! Thank God for you, and for Classic Shell!!!

Oh, and did I mention your customer support outshines Microsoft's 1000 times over?!?!?

Thank You!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 am 

Thanks a lot,love Classic Shell :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next