It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:55 pm 

I managed to have a search box apart from address bar (IE8 style), only I don't remember how I did it. Then after cleaning the Registry I lost it.

Is it a ClassicShell feature? Can't find it in Classic Shell, nor in Internet Options.

Internet Explorer 11, no other add-ons. Win 8 x64. Classic Shell 4.1.0

Post subject: Re: Separate search box
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

No, Classic Shell doesn't have any features regarding the search box in IE.
There is a setting to hide the Search box from Windows Explorer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:19 am 

Well, maybe it should, because it's "Classic". We old people really dislike having search and address in the same box.

I know you don't get paid by Microsoft so it's desperately off topic, but would you mind to tell me how to? I'm racking my brains and still can't find it. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:49 am 

I agree it should. IE totally needs a search box. But Microsoft removed it in all releases starting with IE9. And now with "Spartan", they are killing IE itself.

The only way to have a separate search box in IE is to revert to Internet Explorer 8. You can go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Click "View Installed Updates" and then in the Windows Explorer search box, type: Internet. Select the IE version you have installed and click Uninstall. Once you restart and revert to IE8, it will give you the usable search box with drop down menu of search providers.

Using an older version of IE can be problematic because many web pages do not support it. In that case, see this article on how you can use the Classic Shell Start Menu search box as a replacement for IE's lost search provider functionality. It can give you something like this:

There are addons for IE like Quero toolbar: http://www.quero.at/news.php?id=82 which give you a toolbar with a search box but it's not very usable.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:25 am 

GauravK wrote:

Now, that's awesome, all that I need and much more! Comprehensive article good from start to finish. Thanks a lot.