It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 am 

Windows 8 Pro x32 laptop (GPU is Intel945)
CS 3.9.0 (now same issue cropped up in v3.9.1 - 8/22/13)

At random times the taskbar icons stop working right. I will close a program and notice the program stays on taskbar but is actually the program to the right of it if you hover over it. The clock also stops refreshing and I am led to believe time has stopped. :)
The program icons to the left work normally. The icons to the far right also stop updating properly.

If I close CS the taskbar updates but icons are still off by one- in other words the icon you click is actually going to be whatever icon is to the left of the one you are clicking. If I reopen CS the start button overlaps the pinned icons.

Thanks

Last edited by omaudio on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I have never seen this in Windows 8, but I also don't have any pinned icons to the taskbar.
Is your taskbar locked or unlocked?
Can you show me a screenshot? I need one where the buttons are off, and one where the button overlaps the icons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I have never seen this in Windows 8, but I also don't have any pinned icons to the taskbar.
Is your taskbar locked or unlocked?
Can you show me a screenshot? I need one where the buttons are off, and one where the button overlaps the icons.

Hi,
Taskbar is locked, I will post pics as soon as it happens again
Thanks for your time and help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 pm 

Ok so I finally looked down tonight and saw the clock says 7:50pm and it is like 9:30pm
I got some screen shots for you- the icons on task bar to right are 1 off and the icons to left are not showing some programs that are actually open. I will try to leave it like this to see if there is any info I can provide while the issue is present.
One pic shows when mouse is over a prog that is not showing- the Windows aero preview or whatever still works. The other photo shows how the mouse is over the Skype icon but is displaying info for Trillian which is to the left of the Skype icon.
Thanks!
C

edit- just added pic of overlap- occurs when CS is closed and reopened. thx
Also- CS is updated after restart but stays frozen- ie- the icons and time change but continue not to update

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 36.88 KiB | Viewed 38855 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 88.27 KiB | Viewed 38856 times ]
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 38 KiB | Viewed 38856 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm 

Just installed v3.9.1, thanks. Will report back with issues if any.
C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:10 am 

Hi,
Same issue with v3.9.1
left the computer sitting for a few hours- no sleep/hibernate, did have a VNC session that closed on it's own. Frozen taskbar. Restarting CS does not fix, but restarting CS and Windows Explorer seems to work.

Attachments:
File comment: after closing CS and WExplorer and restarting both
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg [ 32 KiB | Viewed 38396 times ]
File comment: after closing/restarting CS
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg [ 30.99 KiB | Viewed 38396 times ]
File comment: frozen
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 120.15 KiB | Viewed 38396 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Admin

When you say "frozen taskbar", do you mean that you can't do anything on the taskbar or that the clock stops updating?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm 

Ivo wrote:
When you say "frozen taskbar", do you mean that you can't do anything on the taskbar or that the clock stops updating?

All explained above- clock, icons not accureate, etc. It is not frozen like an app that is unresponsive- it is different- thx.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

It is still not clear to me if all taskbar functionality is frozen or only parts of it. Apps can be responsive even if the entire taskbar is frozen. So can you for example switch applications by clicking on the buttons in the taskbar? Can you click on the clock and adjust the time?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 pm 

No it still works but you might have a program showing it is open when it is closed or have an open program but only blank space on the taskbar. If you click it will work. It just seems to freeze in terms of display. Imagine if the display froze- and you closed or opened programs- the taskbar has them all wrong and does not respond visually to rollovers but the Aero preview works and clicking works.
Hope that helps.
Only happens occasionally, I am a very grateful CS user!
C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:34 am 

Happened a few times today. Seems like it may be related to display going to sleep? Also if I unlock the taskbar and move it it totally starts working again.
C

Attachments:
Untitlede.jpg
Untitlede.jpg [ 92.78 KiB | Viewed 38150 times ]
Untitledb.jpg
Untitledb.jpg [ 35.09 KiB | Viewed 38150 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Well, if you are certain that the problem doesn't happen if the start menu is not running, then it might be related to Classic Shell. Or it may be a particular combination of software or drivers.
Unfortunately until I can reproduce this issue on my computer I can't do anything to fix it. The cause can be anything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Well, if you are certain that the problem doesn't happen if the start menu is not running, then it might be related to Classic Shell. Or it may be a particular combination of software or drivers.
Unfortunately until I can reproduce this issue on my computer I can't do anything to fix it. The cause can be anything.

Ya had this machine for years and Win8 for almost a year never had the issue previously. I could run a debugger or something if you think that might help determine what happens. Maybe gpu driver? Thanks.
C

FWIW:

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 62.34 KiB | Viewed 38098 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 pm 

It seems all I have to do now is unlock the taskbar (if it is locked) drag it to another edge and drag it right back and it works again. Strange.
C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:44 am 

For some reason, I now have exactly this same problem, only on Windows Server 2012 Essentials (it has the same interface as Windows 8). This machine has been working fine for over a year. I'm running 4.1.0, which is the latest version as of this writing.

The taskbar display will freeze, e.g. it will no longer update on the display, so any programs that are running when it freezes will always appear to be there, and any new programs won't appear at all, even though hovering over the taskbar will generate popup windows as it should, you can just never tell which program you're hovering over because the taskbar image is frozen at some random moment in the past.

I found that if I resize the taskbar (make it two rows high instead of one), it starts working again. Weird.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:34 pm 

I have found several times that the current time display freezes and does not update. This does not always occur, but does happen enough to be annoying. On reboot, the time again works correctly.

I could not find this bug as having already been reported. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a workaround?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 am 

tamathumper wrote:
I found that if I resize the taskbar (make it two rows high instead of one), it starts working again. Weird.

Wow!
How do you make the taskbar higher than one row?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:54 pm 

This is assuming your taskbar is along the bottom of the screen.

Right-click on the taskbar somewhere that there isn't a button. A context menu will appear,... ensure "Lock the Taskbar" is not selected.

Now hover the mouse over the top edge of the taskbar and the pointer will turn into an up/down arrow.

Click and drag up and the taskbar will resize to as many rows as you want.