It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Larger fonts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 am 

I would like to be able to enlarge the menu font sizes beyond the current "large fonts" settings. They look to be about a size 12 and I would like to at least get to a 14 if possible. This would be very helpful on a 10 inch tablet. Multiple font sizes on a list would be best like Windows offers for it's built in options. Another alternative might be to allow it to match whatever the current Windows settings for menu fonts are.

Post subject: Re: Larger fonts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 am 

How to change the font or font size in Classic Shell

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:15 am 

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Maybe you guys could consider adding font sizes into the settings instead of having to edit an actual skin. That way they could stay for all skins if you switch, not to mention being a much easier process from an end user perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Admin

You cannot change the font size independent of the skin. The skin contains multiple fonts and multiple elements (like bitmaps, paddings, icons) that need to work together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:10 am 

What can be done is to make the "Large font" option for skins that have it increase the size considerably (instead of just 1 pt) given that today's PCs are shipping with high resolutions but the screen size isn't growing so increasing DPI makes non-resizable dialogs not fit on the screen and requires a lot of scrolling. Or add an "Extra large font" option alongside it. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Admin

The "Large font" option already uses font that is larger than the system font. If you have trouble seeing it, then you'll have trouble seeing any other system text. You need to increase the DPI setting, which will make everything bigger. You will see less but that's a given if you want bigger text.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:18 am 

Yes I tried changing the DPI originally but it hides buttons I need to get to and makes other windows hard to use sometimes so I just settled for changing text sizes only wherever I can. So I already have larger font sizes in all available areas in Windows which are now larger than the "large font" size in Classic Shell. So if you could add some more choices like you stated in your previous post, that would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:58 am 

Windows 8.1 gives a limited ability to change font sizes and most browsers will do this as well. Using DPI to increase fonts will always adversely effect numbers of different apps, so this is really a non-option for almost everyone. My entertainment system uses a 55 inch HDTV for our computer monitor and setting back 15 or 20 foot away makes reading Classic Shell just about impossible. I really do suggest that all of the skins for this program provide a reasonable number of point size fonts. This has always be a short coming to this otherwise indispensable windows 8 app, which I have used since it's inception.

Thanks, and please give serious thought to doing this, or at least outline a way we can do it ourselves.

-Rodger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

The latest beta version 4.2.0 has a setting where you can override the DPI used only by the start menu. Try that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:07 pm 

Ivo wrote:
The latest beta version 4.2.0 has a setting where you can override the DPI used only by the start menu. Try that.
Yes, that is better. I had found using no skin also helped as I suspect my font settings in Windows would kick in. Thanks.

-Rodger