It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Windows 7 style
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 am 

Hello,
Is there anyway possible that the two-column menu could look more like the Windows 7 one by default? It's called "Vista/7 style" if I remember correctly, but it hardly looks like the version of the Start menu in those operating systems.

It's sad that Start8 looks better.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 style
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am 

There is a skin here that is quite close: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=200 although the picture doesn't jut out.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 am 

GauravK wrote:
There is a skin here that is quite close: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=200 although the picture doesn't jut out.

I would much rather have an inbuilt skin which looks exactly like the Windows 7 Start menu. Can't the Classic Shell team make that?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 am 

are you saying the linked skin is close enough, and the problem is it doesnt come pre-installed
the installation process isnt all that complicated; just open INSTALLDIRECTORY\Skins and copy the file attached to the post
The directory is likely:
C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins
to save you some time :P

start8 looks more like w7's because it was designed entirely to look like it; classic shell was more designed towards windows XP's look, and to adding new functionality/customizations to the menu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm 

Jcee wrote:
are you saying the linked skin is close enough, and the problem is it doesnt come pre-installed
the installation process isnt all that complicated; just open INSTALLDIRECTORY\Skins and copy the file attached to the post
The directory is likely:
C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins
to save you some time :P

start8 looks more like w7's because it was designed entirely to look like it; classic shell was more designed towards windows XP's look, and to adding new functionality/customizations to the menu

Thanks for the help, but you misunderstood me.

The skin included with Classic Shell looks almost nothing like its namesake (Windows Vista/7 Start menu). In fact, one could argue that it should have a different name due to so many stylistic differences.

I've read posts where people uninstall Classic Shell and install Start8 because it gives them the look they want.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:35 am 

If you mean Classic Shell's cascading style being different from Vista/7, then the cascading style is objectively superior to Windows Vista/7's inline style in more than one ways, so that is definitely not worth it.
- The Vista/7 style requires unnecessary scrolling and limits "All programs" to a very cramped, small area of the screen. The same restrictions apply to search results. It can only show as many results as the limited area of the Start menu allows. Classic Shell even allows search results in multiple columns.
- Vista/7 style requires too many mouse clicks to launch a program as a folder doesn't expand by hovering
- Vista/7 style doesn't even show the full name of many program shortcuts with long names
- In Vista/7 style, you can't double click a folder to open it in Explorer
- The only advantage of the Vista/7 "All programs" style is that some users actually prefer the way it shows in a compact area so it doesn't cover rest of the desktop. However, you can also compact Classic Start Menu horizontally by making it single column and setting the menu width, so it doesn't exceed the dual column menu's width.

As for the look of the main menu, yes that is a bit different from the Vista/7 menu look but it doesn't affect usability.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 am 

But it is the look of the menu I want. I can't make it look exactly like the Windows 7 menu. Couldn't the Classic Shell team pay a little more attention to detail and make it look better?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 am 

personally, even if i find cascading style to be superior to inline, though it is still an option i would heavily conciser adding IF i were the developer (but im not)
They both have advantages and disadvantages, and in the end it is a preference issue..

classic shell was designed to make windows 8/7/vista more like XP, not make W8 More like7/vista, although some features were seen as beneficial and picked up along the way...

@Thanks for the help, but you misunderstood me.

no i believe you miss-understood me :P, i was asking if you approved of this skin, posted previously by GauravK: http://classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=200 and was only asking why it didn't come bundled with the software..

@making the skin better; in what specific ways?, a skin can only do so much..... so to add certain things like inline submenus would be modifying the program not the skin...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:13 pm 

@GauravK Thank you for the thorough post, however, I don't really care about the inline Programs menu... I just want it to look right.
@Jcee I agree with you, but I don't think having an inline submenu would be feasible. However, I do wonder what is so hard or wrong about having the "Windows 7" skin look like...the Windows 7 Start menu. Why even name it "Windows 7" if it doesn't even look like it?

Attachments:
Start.png
Start.png [ 544.4 KiB | Viewed 98074 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 am 

well the one linked may be moving the user pic to the top according to the chitchat..

ive read the name of the skin and its "windows Aero" not windows 7..., the reason the userpic isnt overlaying is a few compatiblility issues that would need to be taken care of (IE asume the image is square and are overlayed along the whole verticle border (so with my theme for example you have to turn them off or you have a white line all the way up the side)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:42 am 

Any update on this from the team developing Classic Shell? I would like the Start menu pre-configured with the Windows 7 menu items as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:26 am 

maybe you could state what you want different from Windows 7

I mean, it seems you want it to look exactly the same as windows 7... is all you are after trying to turn windows 8 back into windows 7, and you dont care about any other functionality at all?

i think you can probably just customize your skin the way you want it...

honestly, what are the "good features" of the windows 7 menu? i cant even remember what it looks like, but I know its no where near as cool or useful as mine is now..

are you just trying to disguise your windows 8 as windows 7, like a double-agent or something?

there is nothing remotely good looking about the original windows 7 menu that cant be vastly improved upon by your own customizations..

and am i right in assuming you dont care about any of the Classic Shell features at all, all you want is a skin that looks like exactly like the default install of "Windows 7", even without any built-in Windows 7 customizations?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 am 

Here is an image of my actual, original Windows 7 Ultimate theme, i just need to shift+click for it

Thats practically what my Classic Shell looks like, except for a whole lot of customizations in the right-side column, and both columns are transparent, and the text is way cooler, and the useless crap in the right-side is gone, as are the empty cushions between items on the right

is this the kind of Windows 7 style you are looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

i have a feeling hees only looking at the basic settings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:22 pm 

i thought the main difference between 8 & 7 was the metro vs 7 start menu anyway...

so why not just install windows 7?

although, Microsoft had a really killer deal that expired in January fro Windows 8, and all the laptops I'm seeing now have win8 in them

maybe he could talk to where he bought it, see if they will revert him back to a win7 build

anyone have screenshots of what the win8 start menu looks like when metro is deactivated?

but man, the fact that Classic Shell is so powerful and able to make the Start Menu look way better than any Windows build, is the awesome thing

why not improve upon win7?

windows 7 is a great OS, i love my ultimate x64 version.. but the startmenu is about the only thing that drives me crazy..

actually, i found Classic Shell just looking for a way to add anther button to the right-side of the start menu, for timed power off.. but I cant believe how useful & versatile & powerful the program is, i can do a practically anything.. this is a very well-thought out program

using Classic Shell to simply try to make it look like Windows 7 is like buying a Ferrari and parking it in front of your house just to try and make it look like someone is at home all the time, for security reasons

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 am 

there are quite a few benefits with w8, primarily faster bootups, and better optimization for newer components, so downgrading just for the start menu is hardly worth it..

if start8 isnt to your liking, maybe you want windows 7 start menu exactly as it is, if so maybe you should try:

http://startisback.com/

StartIsBack works exactly like windows 7's start menu (because it is, it runs on the same components)
its not freeware, but its only like 3$ for 2 licenses..

or you could go with start8
maybe that will help

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:41 am 

i dont know.. windows 7 is beautiful, imo

& metro totally sucks, imo

I see it as MS's way of making computers more like their phones... and trying to turn everything into a swipefest

i dont really get why MS decided to go with swiping everything, there is no way on earth im ever sitting at home swiping stuff, unless its strictly and entertainment control console or house-function control

I dont also get why they dont make the Windows 7 start menu & desktop a built-in switchable function

I also dont see why such a desktop feature isnt included on the Windows Phone 8

what is really going on here? really? the future of our lives is Metro? seriously? its hilarious... you know, the kind of funny that makes you really very depressed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:11 am 

most of wins 8 faults can be fixed, easier than adding everything good from windows 8 properly to w7... (there are a few ugly metroish dialogs (like the open with menu)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 pm 

i personally think metro was not meant to replace Windows 7, if it was, it was a terrible decision by microsoft

I think it was more of a specialty build

I might find it useful on a tablet device, or even the microsoft tablet with swinging keyboard maybe... but not on a desktop or laptop

to consider it a replacement for Windows 7, and the future of computing, is insanity.

the tiles are hands down the ugliest things i've ever seen

its also an extremely poor use of space, it seems designed to let other people see u swiping it, more than it has to do with your own needs

even in small tile mode, its a poor use of space and can in no way compare to a multi-column startmenu & quicklaunch combo

it boots faster because it actually hibernates, and it actually wants u to put it to sleep rather than power it off.. but even when it powers off, it uses a hibernate state... and thats so you can pull it out of your bag and use it without waiting too long, great for tabs & phones, pointless for desktop computing

i think windows8 is a tablet OS, and nothing more, personally. its something i'd appreciate on my tablet, and i can see it coming in useful as a console near my front door for setting lights, music, & alarms... or controlling my KTV or Movies from my sofa.. or in the kitchen for recipes or video chat with the relatives while cooking... or for when im in bed, and want to read a book or see the news, or write in a journal... or maybe even in the bathroom, to read or playgames while on the porcelain throne.... or for accessing room to room intercoms or indoor/outdoor security cameras... but thats about it.. but whats the point of it really, if theres literally nothing in your home to control or interact with out on the market yet?

i think its a specialty build, but one thats in the works

to me, it seems more like a ME or Vista Build.

it would be utter lunacy to pursue tiles as the future OS of Desktop Computing, imo

anyway, i have 12 GB ram, and super processing & GPU capabilities.. if win 8 is faster, i wouldnt even notice it, unless on a tab with limited hardware capabilities

at any rate, i think i'm sitting this build out, like I did with Vista, waiting for MS to address desktop users, and stop their fanaticism over largely frivolous tablet devices

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:29 am 

well yes it is mostly designed for tablets with small screens..
its not about maximizing the ammount of stuff on screen, but rather making the buttons big and easy to press without missing with your fingers XD, they went all out for the lowest common denominator (old people with shaky hands)

the funny part is most tablets have arm processors, and are incompatible with any legacy (non metro) programs. which windows doesnt even attempt (if there is a way) to fix them to work (even if it takes more cpu to run, they should find a way to make it work)
so if legacy software is your goal make sure your tablet has an x86 processor, and not an arm

@hybernation; i disable hybernation completely (ssd) and i still can restart my computer in a good 15 seconds, as opposed to 25 for w7..

but yea if you have w7, i wouldnt bother upgrading, atleast now that there 15$ promotion is over :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:18 am 

@OP, I made a skin that more closely matches Windows 8: http://winaero.com/blog/introducing-win ... sic-shell/

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 am 

@Ian, the latest beta version of Classic Shell (linked from the home page) has exact Windows 7 look. Try it if you're interested.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:49 pm 

Sorry for the dumb question. Just installed CS, having hoped to get my Win7 start menu back including the looks.

However, it does NOT look at all like Windows 7, colors- and borders-wise (it does so in the option settings screen, but not when the respective look is applied).

So am I a) after a competitor to CS, or is there b) NO POSSIBLE WAY anyway to get the EXACT Win 7 start menu looks on Win 10?

Sorry again,

Thanks
David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Pick a different skin from the Skins tab in the setting. The closest to Windows 7 is called "Windows Aero".
Try them all. Maybe you'll find one that you like better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

Ahhh thanks. That one looks nice!

PS: another question to the experts (somewhat off-topic): I'd pay, donate or whatever big bucks for a tool that brings more Win7 looks back, most of all the chubby scrollbar handles, and generally a little more 3D.

Is there anything on earth that can do this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:13 pm 

Sounds like the work for a custom theme'
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2014/11/22/8-aw ... indows-10/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:22 pm 

Whoaa! I found one:

http://www.intowindows.com/download-win ... indows-10/

Including the scrollbars and everything!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:47 pm 

Glad to hear :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:00 pm 

Well it certainly looks lovely however the taskbar appearance is still flat with this theme? Also, with Windows 10 getting frequently updated, I think custom visual styles will also need to be regularly updated or else things can look broken.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:25 am 

It looks like Microsoft locked down the Taskbar in Windows 10 RTM build so third party visual styles (themes) can no longer skin it. Before build 10240, it could be skinned.

Compare Start Menus