It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:26 pm 

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary in IE, when suddenly an error message popped up saying something like, "Classic IE has encountered a problem and needs to close." (I have to remember to take Screen Shots of these things!!!) Over that window, another window popped up (from Microsoft) asking if I wanted to report more details to Microsoft. I clicked on that windows "Details" arrow. The only relevant information was:
"Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\G B\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4CF0.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\G B\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4D00.tmp.hdmp"

(I did report it to Microsoft; I figured, "why not"?)

Apparently, everything resumed automatically without a hiccup. I just wanted to pass the error information along, in case it was important. In reaching the Forum, I notice that there is a slightly-newer version available, 4.0.2 (I am running 4.0.0). So I guess I will download that, just to keep current.

Thanks,
cheebie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:51 am 

Thanks for the report, and the crash you experienced is likely beyond classic shells scope (likely something deeper within IE than classic shell goes), Though these crashes do happen from time to time, for just about everyone, on just about every computer :P; I'm not exactly sure if anything good has ever come out of sending the microsoft error report (that pops up at after a program crashes) but seeing as its just as easy to send as not to, you might as well send it in :P, in the hopes that it may get addressed, if even just for frequency cataloging)
Also the 4.0.2 update doesn't have any changes to its IE components(to my knowledge), and no changes that really affect 95% of the people :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:11 pm 

Thanks, Jcee. Good to know that this is not an uncommon experience, nor the harbinger of something WORSE about to happen.

I guess I should save my "crash reports" for when they have a greater impact on my machine, then?

Thanks,
cheebie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 am 

As far as saving them, I wouldn't worry about it.
unless you are receiving frequent crashes, several times a week, which would indicate something is specifically wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:58 pm 

"Save" was not the right choice of words. "Reserve" was what I intended (i.e. don't post every little glitch or hiccup; wait until it affects my use of the program, or if it happens several times a week, as you had suggested.)

I know that Ivo has just released a couple new versions (4.0.0, and then 4.0.2). I was just trying to be helpful, in terms of helping with debugging. Ah, well, it's a process: live and learn! Thanks for your helpful replies, Jcee.

cheebie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 pm 

bruce741 wrote:
Com on guys, switch over to ie10 now.

Hmmm, I'm confused:
(1) Although I didn't state what version of IE I am running, I did state that I was running Win 8. Doesn't IE10 come standard with Win 8? (unless you really work at it to downgrade to a lower version.)

(2) My "Help|About..." product statement says that I am running 10.0.9200.16736. A line under that seems to indicate that there is an "Upgrade" version available, 10.0.11, since Nov. 12 (KB2888505). I am set up for automatic upgrades, so I don't know why this hasn't upgraded itself. Do you think there is something to be gained by my upgrading to this most current version?

In short, it doesn't seem likely that a lack of "IE10-ness" contributed to the problems I was experiencing.

cheebie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:42 pm 

I get numerous crashes on Internet Explorer with the message that Internet Explorer has stopped responding & must disconnect & restart. This happens many times a day. Of course, I have to keep starting over after it restarts I'm wondering if the fact that Classic Shell uses IE9 & I also have IE 11 with my Windows 8.1 program, Could the two versions be incompatible or sending different commands & causing the crash? I'm at a total loss & nothing I have tried has worked. Please, anybody, can you help. I also get the message that that whatever website I'm trying to access is "not responding" I'll try anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Classic IE9 is fully compatible with IE 11. If you suspect it is causing your crashes you can temporarily disable it from the addon settings or by completely uninstalling it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:27 am 

You could also try running IE temporarily in addons disabled mode using this command:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

That way you can eliminate the possibility that some addon is causing it to crash or IE itself is damaged.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:33 pm 

Can't thank you enough for your help. I've disabled the IE 9 & so far IE has not kicked me off. I'll continue working with it to see if that totally resolved the IE crashes. I wanted to show this as a resolved issue, but cant find the green check button. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 am 

When I fire up IE from Metro UI it works fine. When I click on the IE icon in Classic Shell mode the IE screen appears but my home page just spins its wheels and never connects. It says "waiting for web page". If I right click on the IE icon and right click on Internet Explorer from the list and select "Run as Administrator" it opens properly and goes to my Home Page. Any ideas? Everything else seems to work OK. Thanks in advance.

Win 8.1
Lenovo Ideapad Laptop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Admin

The desktop version of IE is not part of Classic Shell. It is part of Windows. Classic Explorer just lets you tweak the look of the title and the statusbar.
Most likely you have IE configuration problems or permission problems.