It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm 

Hi, Can this be added ( like Windows 7 style )
a New setting for the "Classic with two columns" style to control the height of the main menu?
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Why would you want to have unused blank space? The Windows 7 style needs it because the size of the menu limits how many programs you see in the tree and how many search results you can fit. The Classic styles have no such limitation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 pm 

For the Classic styles, if you increase the number of Frequent/Recent items or the items shown in the right column, then the menu will automatically get taller. It will get taller by increasing items for the Windows 7 style too but that setting exists so that maximum items can be shown in the inline treeview or search results as Ivo said.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:45 pm 

thanks for the replies, before I used the Classic Shell, I was using Start8 ( and it dose have this option, which make the list more comfortable in my case by limiting it to 20, which is very acceptable in my screen resolution, also I didn't like the idea of increasing the list by increasing the items in my case, cause I don't know how the Classic Shell will handle the items if there is a huge numbers of it in the list that doesn't fit to the screen resolution )
thanks for this great program.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 pm 

I checked out Start8. It has a setting for number of recent programs like Classic Shell has in both styles. The height setting is unique to Classic Shell's Windows 7 style.

If you set number of recent programs to 20, the menu won't grow beyond that size.

In the original Windows 7 style menu, the frequent program limit is 30. For Classic Shell, as of version 4.1.0, it is 20 programs.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:35 am 

thanks for your reply, that's applied only for the recent items, but in case of the pinned items it doesn't work.
please correct me if I'm mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 am 

Ah, okay I see what you mean. You want a fixed style menu vertically. That's not how the Classic style works, it is designed on purpose to be sized dynamically. In Windows 7 style, the height doesn't grow if items are pinned. In Classic style, if you pin something, it grows to accommodate that item. If the Start Menu's height is maxed out vertically (touching the edge of the screen), then in Classic style, you will get up/down arrows to scroll. The menu won't go out of bounds of the screen. In Windows 7 style, the size will remain fixed.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:06 am 

I see, ok that's will be good.
thanks again :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:02 pm 

Hello all,

I appreciate this product greatly and just got on Win 8.1 interface.

I would like to revive this 'need' or question. I see that in Windows 7 mode the height of the start menu cannot be more than 20 items. I too would like more than 20 items in the height. Is that possible or perhaps a new setting?

This would be helpful. Perhaps I don't understand why this would not be in such a robust and flexible offering such as Classic Shell. Is a simple limitation for some reason?

I will submit a feature request if needed.

Thank you in advance for any comments! Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Only the frequent/recent items are limited to 20. This is for performance reasons to avoid making the menu sluggish to open.
You can still pin as many programs as you wish and that would go beyond that limit of 20.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:18 am 

Thank you for your response.