It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:52 am 

friend of mine just bought a laptop/tablet with windows rt....he is used to windows 7 so i said give me that ill download classic shell and fix it right up for u you

when i tried downloading the latest version of shell it said i couldn't and to go to the app store....any help is appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 am 

The CPU (microprocessor) inside devices running Windows RT has the ARM architecture. It is not Intel x86 compatible. So Classic Shell can't run on Windows RT 8 or 8.1. No Windows software which is Windows x86 processor-compatible works on ARM because of the different CPU architecture. Secondly, even if some app was ported to the ARM architecture, Microsoft has locked down Windows RT and doesn't allow desktop apps to be installed on this OS at all except for their own signed apps which they allow. The only apps you can use on Windows RT are Store apps and Microsoft Office. So even if it's branded "Windows" technically, Windows RT doesn't have Windows x86 compatibility at all.

Your friend will have to return this machine and get a device running Windows 8.x or Windows 7. Then you can install Classic Shell on it.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 am 

thank you for saving me alot of time I really appreciate it. I found out about classic shell a few years ago and Ive shared it with everyone I know in desktop support and anyone else I could