It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 am 

If you have something good to say about Classic Shell, post it here. :P We wouldn't have reached millions and millions of downloads without you which keep going. People have already said a ton of good things and posted positive reviews.

You're welcome to post more here in this thread.

And a special thanks to everyone who donated to support the project. If you like Classic Shell and want to support its continued development, please donate.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:28 am 

Classic Shell is awesome! I even donated :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:08 am 

I agree with Lebowsky. Classic Shell's improvement of Windows user productivity is first-rate ... work which is surely deserving of a reasonable shareware purchase contribution by all its users, including myself. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:56 am 

I was in a position to find a new laptop for my mother who is not computer savvy. Her previous laptop had Windows 7, and I knew she would be confused and frustrated like myself by Windows 8. I needed to make her new laptop look and function as much like Windows 7 as possible. With the help of Classic Shell she really likes her new laptop. Without your software that would not have been the case. Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:32 am 

Well, thank you! Classic Shell's Start Menu on Windows 8.x is so fast and efficient, I'm still wondering why I used other (paid!) software for it. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:37 pm 

yeah dudes... holy shit and a half pardon my french but i have to thank you guys.... i was using some crappy program called pokki that did a weak emulation of the classic start bar we know and love (and also was keen on getting me to buy "apps" for it, which seems to be the ethos/logos of just about every program these days: LONG LIVE THE WALLED GARDEN!!!!) and ever since i went to classic shell i've never looked back.

whoever made that windows 8/8.1 fade-to-black icon for the start menu in that subforum knocked it out of the park as that gives me the style to go with the functionality of this program. it's literally my first second or third download when i get a new computer/laptop with windows 8/8.1 going, because i can't fathom how anyone could ever want to hit the windows key (itself a replacement for the proper ctrl+esc that we used to be used to.. but think about the juice microsoft has to essentially decide "hey we're putting our own button on the standard PC keyboard" and now it's a way of life as ctrl+esc is down to one key) and end up in metro.... why? this isn't a tablet or a phone.... this isn't android or some bastardized version of windows. this is the bloated remnants of the glorious operating system that we've used for ~20something years (with win2kpro being the apex. why i remember that time i once ran my computer for 1.5yrs without rebooting, and keep in mind i did a lot of direct3D/openGL gaming back then. now if you leave comptuers on that long hard drives crash and burn because they're designed to keep you buying a new one every ~2-3 years like cellphones do. god forbid that the template for 21st century computing seems to be following computerphones/tablets (i abhor the term "smartphone" cuz i dont need to be patronized like OOOH IM SO SMART FOR HAVING ONE OF THESE when i talk about my electric candy bar gizmo / mark of the beast in my pocket) and well, yeah, we can at least fight back (for the time being) thanks to good good people like yourself.

and in the case this is all some elaborate CIA/NSA front to take advantage of our unwillingness to change and get us to run 3rd party software that enables remote control of our computer..... this is all some elaborate ruse to take control of my comptuer)

anyways idk what the latin for "i babble therefore i am" is so again just wanna say thx cuz guys like you and oldversioncom and whatnot are what stephen colbert would term "it getters" and well, yeah, you make my comptuer like 500% more usuable as i'm able to hit the windows key and type in c:\path\subfolder\executable.exe and load my programs..... cuz idk who the hell uses the start menu folders and/or desktop shortcuts.... but if you dont know where your programs are stored and what the exe is called, welp, metro is waiting for you babydoll. catch the wave!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:53 pm 

Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:42 am 

Literally was the decider in whether or not I updated to Windows 8.1 or not. Thanks guys :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:50 am 

This is the difference between new windows 8 users absolutely hating windows 8 and not. Microsoft should incorporate this into an official release. The work is already done for them. Windows 8 is now awesome with this add on. Much more practical to use and much more productive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:21 am 

Classic Shell is the best!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:34 am 

Thank you very much for that useful program.

I always hated the lack of possibilities from Microsoft to really customize the start menu. With Classic Shell I can configure a sleek and fast start menu with the new features of Windows 7 / 8.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 am 

I found Classic Shell while searching for a way to get a non-transparent taskbar in Windows 8.0 (other stuff I'd tried didn't work right or wouldn't hold settings correctly). That was all I wanted, at first, and I didn't think I needed the other parts of Classic Shell and I was prepared to ignore them. But...

Then I discovered the "Classic Explorer" part of Classic Shell. Wow! I love how it lets me customize so many aspects of how I want my files/windows/etc to appear. For instance, this might seem trivial to some, but it's important to me: Classic Shell lets me fine-tune/adjust the "tree item spacing", in the Navigation Pane part of the preferences - that is so cool! I tend to have lots of nested folders to organize my files, so this particular feature makes it so I can see more files in less screen real-estate.

So then I started investigating other aspects of Classic Explorer and found lots of other useful settings and adjustments. It's so much easier to navigate around Windows with all the custom stuff that Classic Shell makes possible.

I never thought I'd say this, but - because of Classic Shell - I actually like Windows 8 better than Windows 7 :o or even XP Pro (I used to think XP was the greatest thing in the PC world, despite the XP hassles with ordinarily running as a non-Admin for security reasons). But now, thanks to Classic Shell, I feel like I'm essentially able to choose the best features of all those OS's and combine them into one easy-to-use computer.

So I no longer have to dread or procrastinate about buying new computers when necessary, because as long as Classic Shell lets me customize stuff the way I want to, it's all good.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to donate but I kept forgetting, so I will do that on payday. I consider Classic Shell to be absolutely essential, to tame Windows 8 and restore peace and harmony ;) to my computing experience. Classic Shell makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:39 pm 

WOW! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 pm 

Just THANK YOU! The tiles or whatever they are called, were pretty confusing. If Microsoft was trying to emulate Apple, it failed miserably. I'm a Mac, but have to use a PC at work, where I spent more time Googling for "how to"s than I did actually working! My employer thanks you too!

Post subject: thanking you :)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm 

Thank you so much for this wonderful program, free also, many good vibes sending your way to developer. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:13 pm 

Thank you, thank you. I hope Microsoft realizes that perhaps the biggest reason Windows 7 has remained popular and why many are refusing to move to Windows 8/8.1 is the disappearance of the traditional Start menu. Now I must thank Classic Shell team for what they have done. And this is given out free of charge? Awesome, awesome. Matter of fact, Classic Shell even does more than the Windows classic Start button does. What's more, it doesn't really change how your PC works; it just add a very useful shell. Again, Awesome, awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 pm 

Posted at DonationCoder: Re: What the Heck is Happening to Windows? Article on Windows 8 Disaster
Many thanks to the people in this discussion thread who referred to Classic Shell. As a result of their comments, a couple of days ago I went ahead and installed it for a trial.
Most of the things that I dislike (and that's putting it mildly) about Win8 are related to poor ergonomics and the superfluous Metro eye-candy and and its kludgy functionality in the UI. Those aspects of the OS are backward steps - but the OS otherwise seems very good.
However, pretty much all that I disliked is swept away by Classic Shell. It seems to be very stable too - which is a mandatory requirement for an OS interface (in my book, at any rate).
Perhaps the biggest bonus of Classic Shell for me is in the restoration of the very good Win7-type Start Menu and the instant search of my indexed documents and OneNote files when anything is typed into the Search box. This had completely disappeared in Win8 and was driving me batty - and lots of other OneNote users as well, judging from the comments in many of the OneNote discussion forums.
Classic Shell - definitely a keeper.

(Hey, nice editor in this ClassicShell forum!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 am 

Classic Shell is the neatest thing since Band-aids! :D It and Classic Explorer are the best tools to overcome the restrictions of Win7! I will definitely donate after payday!! Thanks so much to the developer for these great programs!! Were it not for tools like these I would be switching to Mac, because Win is too restrictive - they shouldve kept XP!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:21 am 

I have always built my own desktop computers in the past. But I relocated to a tiny town from Portland, OR, and was spoiled by all the vendors in Portland. There are none here to buy computer components (motherboards, memory, drives, etc...) I found myself in a quandary. Now, having said that this town has limited outlets for hardware, we do, of COURSE, have a WAL-MART. (Where our workers can't afford to shop, and STILL the cheapest place in town!) So I purchased a desktop Gateway system, all set to go. And guess what? It came with WIN 8. I had read/heard about how disappointing the new 'gem' from MicroStuff was, but figured I could get used to it. Well, it was so distasteful to me, that after I set the desktop up, I proceeded to use my old laptop for most of my pleasurable work. THEN! I stumbled upon mention of Classic Shell on the 'Into Windows' website. I thought 'what can I loose?' So I downloaded, and couldn't be more thankful!! No, there was NOTHING to loose. What I didn't expect was how much I'd gain. Thank You, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!! Clearly, a lot of thought and appreciation for esthetics went into this product. I don't know how anyone could produce such a brilliant product, and then turn the thing loose for FREE! Unless, as implied earlier, some nefarious CIA connection is present. AH, what the hell. They already listen to everything we say on the phone, and text, and e-mail. Who cares? In a country where freedom seems to have been given a backseat to "security" (Albeit false security) by the mindless majority in our ever dumber and dumber populace, I don't even care if you are a CIA shill. ;) Much appreciation to all those who created this masterful solution. MicroTalent certainly shows less appreciation for its captive audience than you folks do. Very nicely done. Maybe TinyLimp (er, sorry. Microsoft) will toss you guys a few million for the rights to your product. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm 

Great program!! Thank You!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am 

I've been involved with computers since the '80's and am on staff of multiple Windows / Computer support sites. I only mention this to point out that I've seen the best and worst in hardware and software over the years. I can comfortably say that yours is among the best - especially considering the price (donation on the way). Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am 

Big thanks for this program - my mom got a new computer recently with Windows 8 on it - I don't think she would have been able to deal with it with all the changes without it, but now she can boot to the desktop and have a normal start button.

Maybe it was a blessing in disguise though - now there is this better start button with more customization options. I wonder how many MS employees are using it...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:19 am 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. What a great program. It makes any of the newer windows version very usable and efficient.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:45 am 
Great application. Using it on several Win7 machines. Not enough to make me use Win8. No app is that good ;-)
Would be awesome if it also removed the "Show Desktop" button in the tray.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:52 am 

Robbage wrote:
Great application. Using it on several Win7 machines. Not enough to make me use Win8. No app is that good ;-)
Would be awesome if it also removed the "Show Desktop" button in the tray.

Yes I would recommend Windows 7 over Windows 8 regardless of Classic Shell. For removing the Show Desktop button, you can use 7+ Taskbar Tweaker from http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker. It's been around for just as long as Classic Shell and fixes everything related to the Taskbar that Microsoft messed up.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Post subject: THANK YOU!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 am 

Many many THANKS 4 this Classic Shell!!

I'm 'n old fart, aged 53, and already a little heavy on learning new things - and I really hated my new DELL inspirion with its shitty Win8Metro f...
until I installed Classic Shell.

Now I feel oriented again - almost like in the good old Windows 95 decade :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 pm 

Thanks for the program! I hope it continues to expand :).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:47 pm 

Thanks, cannot live without it!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:25 pm 

Hi
I would like to make a donation, but I don't have a credit card.
Can make a donation with a Walmart visa gift card?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:19 am 

Black dragon wrote:
Hi
I would like to make a donation, but I don't have a credit card.
Can make a donation with a Walmart visa gift card?

As far as I know, Walmart Visa Gift card can only be used for purchasing. For donations, you can associate your bank account with PayPal and use PayPal or debit/credit card.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:33 am 

Just wanted to express my gratitude for those who have worked on this project. Classic Shell made my life MUCH easier while migrating my parents from 7 to 8! Thank you! Muchoa gracias! Merci beucoup!

Something like Classic Shell may seem like a simple thought which leads to a small action for most folks but I feel differently. If we had more people in the world who enjoyed helping others it would be a better place for all :). I made a small donation, wish I could donate more - cheers!

-Karmahkid-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:33 pm 

Really improved my productivity with this classic shell. and even the printers and device section using old xp style. really help for setting up my computer for my personal use. Really-really use full. I wonder is there any version for windows 8?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 am 

It works just fine on windows 8 and 8.1
It even 'works' on the latest windows 10 build (though it has some bugs, that likely wont be addressed until the build is finalized)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I waited until it was absolutely necessary before buying a Win8, which I need for work purposes. Thanks to Classic Shell, I'm now pulling a lot less hair out of my head and actually, almost, sort of starting, to get some work done, almost. Sincerest thanks for restoring some sanity to this hideous thing which should be called "Windows H8". Some people actually pronounce the H of eight, so it's perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:35 pm 

I created an account to say thank you to the people that have put time into this, officially or unofficially. Awesome stuff :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:07 am 

Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 am 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for such a useful tool, it has saved me so many support calls that I would have received from work, family and friends!

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:51 am 

:D im new here, just wanted to say thank you for everyone's hard work (skins makers and the classic shell makers).

i just got my self a new laptop, and been worrying for ages about windows 8. (nearly made me not buy the this laptop because of my worry)
(if you wanted to see which one http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT72-2QE- ... o-overview)

until i found this site, its a big thing to me allowed me to use a pc/laptop and make it user friendly (and looks better). the tiles the apps... wtf go away M$

i read alot of people saying the only reason you guys have done this is because your stuck in the past and dont like change, and stubborn as a mule.

but i say a few things to these people:-

its a very thought out design and is really user friendly that allows me to turn it on or off, and can even interact with the app (so improves M$ version)

We cant all wanting it for comestic retro reasons because look at the new skins you guys are making, this makes us user feel ahead of the game not behind it; the last skin i just seen was the Starcraft one i mean looks good! im sure there many more i need to search to find x.

lastly to the haters! - its my choice deal with it :D because i have :D

i need alittle more dollar in my bank and i donate to you guys this weekend that laptop raped my bank balance lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm 

I've recently created an account only to express thanks for creating Classic Shell.

I really love the Classic Start Menu, it mixes the best parts of the Start Buttons of Windows 95, 98 and XP. In my humble opinion, Metro interface slow down the productivity.

Currently, I'm using Windows 8.1 with the Classic Start Menu and it works like a charm. Classic Start Menu and Windows 8.1 integrate perfectly!

Thanks, thanks, and thank you very much!

Nacho.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 am 

I'm classicshellthanks, I can't remember the password, sorry. :oops:

I forgot to say that I really love the Classic Start Menu with the CLASSIC STYLE. :D

Classic Shell team, thanks, thanks and thank you very much for your work!

Nacho.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 am 

Thanks i love this now :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:31 pm 

I'm new to the party here guys and girls but I'd also like to extend a huge THANK YOU!! from the bottom of my heart for the excellent software you make.

I got a new PC recently (ordered it in May, took delivery in first week of June) with Win 8.1 and I asked for Win7 as I didn't particularly fancy the tiles on my PC, the girl at the shop assured me it'd be fine as I'd have Win 8.1 and something called "Classic Shell"...
When I set my PC up and tried the software I was blown away by how great and easy to use it was - everything I know and love from XP came back to my new system.

Once again, thankyou from a very happy Desktop user.

PS. have recently got an older version for my Dad's Vista laptop to give it some added character (doesn't stop Vista sucking balls tho').

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 am 

GRAZIE for Classic Start Menu !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am 

Hello everyone! I'm Brazilian and I must say that I resisted for many years to abandon XP. I just did it now thanks to CS, so I think Microsoft should reward CS because it made ​​it easier migration to Windows 7/8. Even if it's what they want (third party to working for free for them), to lose users by laziness to make a customizable product is nothing productive.

Many thanks for Classic Shell!

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:22 am 
As the title says, thank you, makes Microsoft useable again.

I urge anyone using this to give a donation, I did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 am 

CLASSIC SHELL was amazing. I wondered to transform 8.1 to XP, etc..... I also made skins for it..... Thank yuu Classic Shell! I use Metro somtimes; i <3 metro and Classic Shell.

My wish for Classic Shell is i wish that new versions of Classic Shell supports Vista and I wish Classic Shell has an built-in skin editor.

Anyways I <3 classic shell. Thanks !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:51 pm 

This thread actually serves to cut back on the several (4-5) that were previously created simply for praise, its not just about tooting ones horn :P though it is nice to hear about peoples apreciation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:36 pm 

Classic shell is an amazing piece of software that does exactly what I want/need it to do and more. I would like to thank the developers and users for their hard work and dedication to making this my go to app for my specific needs.

Thank you to all.

Deeked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:13 am 

Yeah! I tried a lot to find something similar to this kind of forum, but Classic Shell definitely the best!
Thank u!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 am 

Thank u!