It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 pm 

One thing that was in Windows 7 and then removed in Windows 8.x is "Window Color and Appearance" (see
http://www.7tutorials.com/geeky-way-per ... ows-themes for an example).

Color management in Windows 8 is far more restrictive, for reasons I don't understand. I'm trying to get as close as possible to "Windows Classic" theme that was in Windows 7. That means active titlebars with white text/navy background, inactive titlebars with grey text and dark grey background, and taskbar with black text and light grey background.

In Windows 8, the option is to "Change the color of your window borders and taskbar". That's one(!) setting for at least six different colors ("active titlebar"/"inactive titlebar"/"taskbar" foreground and background).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 pm 

Microsoft removed the classic theme from Windows 8. It was the only theme that respected system parameters of window metrics, colors etc so changing the parameters in the registry now which "Window Color and Appearance" modified has no effect in Windows 8. The way solution I know is to install UXStyle (a free app which allows you to use third party themes) and then get a custom theme (visual style) from sites like Deviantart.com or make a theme yourself using the commercial product, WindowsStyleBuilder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:07 pm 

Thanks for your response.

UxStyle makes me nervous, especially on a work PC, because it includes a system service and a kernel driver. Do you really need a driver to modify the shell?

Also the name of the download doesn't inspire confidence :)
http://uxstyle.com/builds/UxStyle_sep23 ... bugged.zip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 am 

It modifies the Windows theme engine in-memory to not block unsigned themes, that is safer than patching files on disk. Read here why they chose the kernel driver approach: http://withinwindows.com/blog/2009/03/20/uxstyle-out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new

Regardless, crashes are a rare possibility, and Classic Shell is not responsible for anything that happens to your PC from recommended third party software.

Use it at your own risk. I have been using UxStyle for many years without issues but I don't know about others.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 am 

Fair enough. Do you use it in Windows 8?

Kernel driver crashes would be a blue screen which wouldn't be fun, but I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 am 

Yes I use it in Windows 8 and Windows 7. But like I said, I can't give any guarantee it won't crash for you just because it doesn't crash for me. It is 3rd party app. But there are plenty of recovery methods to disable it though if it starts crashing - Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, System Restore.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:39 pm 

Just downloaded UXStyle from UxStyle.com but it doesn't show any form of app for it. I'm running Win8.1 on my computer, so would I have to restart my computer for it to show up or did I just download a fake?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm 

JoshuaL2 wrote:
Just downloaded UXStyle from UxStyle.com but it doesn't show any form of app for it. I'm running Win8.1 on my computer, so would I have to restart my computer for it to show up or did I just download a fake?

It does not have a UI. It runs as a service (Unsigned Themes service). The user is supposed to install it and then download and apply any theme. That theme should work after UXStyle is installed even though it is not digitally signed by Microsoft.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:27 am 

Display settings in windows 8.1 let us to change only font size for icons, title bars, menus etc but not fonts. Well, i found a way to change fonts too, go to register HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics. I wonder if classic shell's workers could create a program with graphic user interface like classic (in windows xp) advanced appearance to be able to change colors, fonts and sizes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41 am 

Classic Shell's features are independent of Windows settings, based entirely on its own code. Registry tweaks are not part of the project. But yes, someone would write a proper native app that tweaks the available parameters which still work, although many of them no longer work with Windows themes (visual styles), they only worked with the Classic theme.

Compare Start Menus