It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 pm 

I was looking for a start menu skin that has a similar look to default Steam skin. I would prefer the Steam logo at the top right corner of the menu. Thanks. Please post a download for a skin if you found one or made one. :D I have a 3rd Party Steam theme for my Win8 Laptop. I would like it to match the look of the default steam skin. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:11 am 

I haven't found any steam skins but I have found one that looks kinda like steam: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1919
The Zune skin here looks kinda like steam.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:09 am 

I made a quick edit of the XP skins i showed you in the last post: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3eda6 ... Steam.skin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:00 pm 

Reply to your first post, Jordan1776, I use the royale zune theme. Reply to 2nd post, Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:02 pm 

The skin you made looks the same as the other ones.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 pm 

QuickNinjaCatTV wrote:
The skin you made looks the same as the other ones.

Hmm... It should have add steam-like lines to the top bar and the steam logo on the right side. Look at it in resource hacker. Can you see anything wrong with it?

EDIT: Fixed version Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gtmlf ... ed%5D.skin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:33 pm 

BTW, I'm having a problem with this skin, that I've never had before!!
I'm using Windows 7 64bit. I downloaded this skin and copied it to the ClassicShell/Skins folder.
I then looked in CS settings:Skins, but Steam is not listed.

I noticed that the file is marked as "blocked", so I went in with Explorer and un-blocked the file, but it's still not there.
I closed and re-started Classic Shell, but that didn't work either.

How do I get this skin to show up? This has always worked before, with this OS, using skins that I got from this forum...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm 

Not sure if this applies, but I've noticed that '.skin' files don't seem to work on my comp. It can't read them no matter what I use. If it helps, can you try converting it to a '.exe' file. Those always worked fine on my comp.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

To use files with extension .skin you need to select a classic style (with one or two columns). The Windows 7 style uses files with extension .skin7.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 pm 

I meant that my comp won't open or even download files with the .skin extension. So I can't seem to get them for this anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

That's weird. May be some security setting in your browser. You can try a different browser or try tweaking the settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:21 pm 

Nah, I've tried them all, it's something to do with my OS i think. I'm running Windows 8.1 and it tries to make me search the Windows Store for a compatible app. The only one I can find is free, but it is one that requires a much more experienced amount of expertise in scripting since it uses scripting codes to generate the needed scripting to run anything. Sadly, I am a complete dunce with things like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:22 pm 

I can run them if they are downloaded via a .zip file or a .exe but i can't download them directly from a .skin link.

I just found a response explaining what I was trying to say. here it is in quote:

Quote:
To use .skin files, you must extract (or copy-paste) them to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins. .skin files are for the Classic styles of the menu (Classic single or two columns). You can't use them with the Windows 7 style of the menu. Windows 7 style uses the .skin7 format.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 pm 

@JoshuaL2, try using another browser to save a .skin file to the Desktop. You can't save it directly in C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins because it is protected by UAC. First save to the Desktop and then copy it from there to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

You must not try to open the file. Of course no program can open .skin files like documents. You must save them to the Skins folder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 am 

oooohhhhh, i see now. Wow, i feel stupid, rofl. I looked here just upon noticing that same thing, rofl. :lol: :lol: :lol: