It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:57 am 

I'm sure you are aware of the many 3rd party start apps now available but unlike most startisback claims that the win7 menu code of windows 8 was never fully removed and startisback reinstates the original code so there is no extra load or services running.

I wondered if you experts could see what is being done to put the original code back and add it to classic shell. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Admin

The thing with the Win7 code is that it is all or nothing. You either have the exact same menu as Win7 or you can't use any of that code. Startisback already has that product. I have no interest in making the exact same one.

There are also downsides to this solution. First, it is very tricky to add new features to that menu because you can't change the OS code. Second, since it's using unused and unmaintained code, there is no guarantee all of the features work correctly (for example in Win8 the database for the newly installed application seems gone, so that feature won't work in the start menu). And lastly, you are at the whim of Microsoft. Maybe they decide to save a few megs in the next service pack and yank out the unused code. Now you're screwed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

I wrongly assumed it was of interest for the win 7 menu part of classic shell.

He claims it can't be removed.

"it's almost impossible since it's tied with jump list code and requires rearchitecting explorer.exe code, which they won't do until next Windows version."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 pm 

I still think that him selling SIB is wrong, especially since he's essentially using code that isn't his own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 am 

Classic Shell is so much more advanced and powerful than the Windows 7 menu. It was created to fix the Windows 7 menu. :) So using the original menu code would be like a huge step backwards. See here for a comparison: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2399

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:46 am 

Great reply , i can't argue with that. :D