It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:06 pm 

For
Restart
and
Shutdown

submenus, of the shut down directory of the startmenu..

a confirmation dialogue fi i ever click on shutdown or restart by mistake

Post subject: Re: Nice new feature
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 am 

That is why the commands are in a submenu so the user doesn't shutdown or restart by mistake.

Also, for Windows 7 style of the menu, you can use the command called "Shutdown...." as the default Shutdown command. It shows a confirmation dialog with all the restart options.

If you are using the Classic Style of the menu, the same command is called shutdown_box.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:39 am 

"That is why the commands are in a submenu so the user doesn't shutdown or restart by mistake."
Yes, but i'm using the open start menu on hover, & that mistake sometimes happens

i'm on windows 8 using: windows 7 basic skin
the warning i need is both for:
shutdown
&
restart

so if i follow you, for shutdown, i need: "Shutdown...."

& restart ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:49 am 

I don't understand. Putting the commands inside a submenu is itself the protection so an action like Shutdown or Restart doesn't get triggered accidentally. Even if you open the main menu using hover, how is one likely to accidentally open the shutdown submenu at that same instance and then also accidentally click Restart or Shutdown? You should exercise caution if you are opening the submenu itself. Introducing one more confirmation will result in users complaining of too many clicks.

As for the case if you use "Restart" or "Shutdown" as the default Shutdown command in the main Start Menu, you can change it to use the Shutdown dialog as the default Shutdown command, so it will show you a confirmation dialog:

This is your confirmation dialog which is already present. You can press R to switch to Restart or S to switch to Shutdown. You can add this dialog by going to Customize Start Menu tab. Locate Shutdown in the left column and double click it to bring up the Edit Menu Item dialog. Change the command to "shutdown_box".

Or you could also install the freeware app, ShutdownGuard to prevent accidental restart or shutdown: http://winaero.com/blog/avoid-accidental-and-automatic-shut-down-or-restart-with-shutdownguard/ It adds an additional confirmation to block automated/programmatic shutdowns/restarts.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:30 am 

"I don't understand. Putting the commands inside a submenu is itself the protection so an action like Shutdown or Restart doesn't get triggered accidentally"
it definitely does..

"You should exercise caution if you are opening the submenu itself."

I don't open it myself, that's the magick of popup on mouse hover priviledges..

My situation:
1) i use the mouse on hover feature to open start menu
2) i move my mouse around the screen in my webrowser
3) accidentally, i am near the start button & the menu pops up
4) i quickly move my arrow to the right to click on the browser page to be focused on it & auto close the start menu again
5) while moving the cursor to the left, the shutdown menu opens while i click on the page & accidentally click on "retart
6) i lose all my work & open windows in edition mode since days ... .

So this magic thing happened to me more than once, magick things can happen with startmenu lol ))

So i reordered the shutdown submenu & added the lock & sleep feature on top
& what i'd like is a "Are you sure.. Yes Cancel/No" dialog after i clicked
restart or shutdown using your startmenu ..

& not a second menu like the one you've shown above, where i have to reselect again,
shutdown or restart after having already selected it through classicshalls startmenu..

is that possible ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

No, sorry, not possible. Part of it is the localization issue. Only the logoff gets a confirmation because it is the only one for which the text is present in Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:37 am 

it would be nice if you could add the "are you sure" yes/no warning as an option for close & restart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 am 

you could check here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=281
and see if you can do something like that for restart.. so it delays.. then you can make a cancel restart button as well..

I dont remember if it works with restart though

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 am 

Hi Tenzen, it's a bit invasive & useless bitmaps.. i'd rather let Ivo try to implement the option if possible,
or would like what you suggest me eventually but as an option, or hidden patch for 5 mins. with a restart now/Cancel button
when i click on restart or shutdown. what i don't want to see is the shutdown timer menu in startup menu..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:07 pm 

well, it would be cool, but then you'd also be limited to its usefulness unless Ivo could add an option to enter the time you want for it to delay, then also allow multiple instances with multiple times.. and include it for both shutdown & restart.. and then include another button for cancelling any restart/shutdown

one of the nicer features of a Mac is that you get that delayed dialog with a cancel button. thats what you mean right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:20 pm 

"one of the nicer features of a Mac is that you get that delayed dialog with a cancel button. thats what you mean right?"
Lol.. what's the point ? i'm not moving to mac because mac has "one" feature that windows hasn't & can be implemented
on windows in a way or another.. if i listed the thousands of features mac doesn't have & windows have, you'd be astonished ))

In fact, the delay is not important to me, just a warning once i clicked on restart or shutdown accidentally, so i have a second
chance to turn back to what i was doing .. . So invasive buttons with various minutes is a bit too much.

But in Shut Down "menu", a reference called Shut Down in.. would be good
so a window pops-up & i can either enter [] minutes or [] days

when tasks are running and you have to leave your house for a day or weekend,
it's useful.

when a task is running & takes a day or two to finish, and you go to holidays,
setting a day or two to shut down the pc is usefull.

But minutes everywhere in the start menu is a bit invasive & not what i'd call a "clean"
method .. .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm 

Sharing a nice tool..

For a lock+standby timer, i've found the perfect tool, it's called:
Hypershutdown 2.2,
i've sent an update request to the author, "Days" was missing for the countdown field,
& "At date" in the "time specific" field..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:28 pm 

& the missing one that resolves my expectations on this topic:
http://retired.beyondlogic.org/solution ... utdown.htm

For a restart, you can use this type of command line:
"C:\Program Files\Tools\shutdown.exe" -s reboot -f -l 30 -m "Are you sure you want to restart your system?"

& to shutdown the pc:
"C:\Program Files\Tools\shutdown.exe" -f -l 30 -m "Are you sure you want to shutdown your system?"