It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm 

Hello,

I love Classic Shell, but there is one nagging issue that I have with this software: when typing in the search box, some of the control key modifiers do no work correctly (or do not confirm to the accepted standard in Windows).

I honestly don't care if the program fully implements the modifiers, but there are two that I believe are crucial to fix in order to enhance productivity that I will list below.

Not working:
  • ctrl+backspace. This is supposed to delete the previous word, but when I try to use this combination in the Classic Shell search box, nothing happens.
Incorrect:
  • ctrl+delete: this is supposed to delete the next word, but the Classic Shell implementation simply deletes everything to the right of the cursor.

It is immensely frustrating when trying to quickly clear the search box only to find that the modifier is non-functional. The modifiers always worked correctly with the native start menu search or "run" text boxes in previous versions of Windows, so I would suggest that Classic Shell should endeavour to emulate the same behaviour when possible.

If needed, please see this page for a full reference of the standard control key modifiers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_key

Thanks for the awesome software! If the recent source was available, I would have submitted the patch myself... sorry for adding to your workload, but I hope you will consider my request.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think any of these are standard. Try for example Notepad. Ctrl+Backspace doesn't delete anything and Ctrl+Delete deletes the rest of the line (same happens in the Run dialog box).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:30 am 

Ivo wrote:
I don't think any of these are standard. Try for example Notepad. Ctrl+Backspace doesn't delete anything and Ctrl+Delete deletes the rest of the line (same happens in the Run dialog box).

You're correct about the ctrl+delete modifier being inconsistent among apps/dialogs. As long as a modifier does something, I'm satisfied with it ;). With that in mind, it's really only the ctrl+backspace modifier that's important to me, so the rest of this post refers only to that.

It's true, there is inconsistency between applications, and the modifiers are not defined as part of any specification. There is a variance with regards to modifier consistency even if you compare stock Windows applications, as you've observed. However, the example you've chosen (Notepad) is an exception, not a rule. I imagine that Notepad has simply been neglected in the code base since the days of Windows 3.x.

Try the ctrl+backspace modifier in any other native Microsoft/Windows program or dialog box; the Run box, Explorer, WordPad, Word, Internet Explorer - almost all applications implement it correctly. Third-party applications by and large are the same (and your example partly illustrates why Notepad++ is installed on my system). The modifiers are so common that it's not even Windows-specific. Looking at my Ubuntu installation, most GUI programs use the modifier, with some exceptions (GNOME apps work, but the gnome-terminal itself does not).

I would suggest that it's reasonable to implement at least the ctrl+backspace modifier in Classic Shell in order to match the behaviour of Run dialog and/or the original native Start menu from previous iterations of Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 am 

Starting with Classic Shell 4.0.5, Ctrl+Backspace in the Start Menu search box deletes the previous word or path component.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.