It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 pm 

:x
Windows 8 is trying to shove the god-dam ribbon menu into my brain while ripping out the file menu that I know and love out. I want to be rid of the ribbon menu and I want my file menu back! I don't want or need to learn to use a new UI that does exactly what the old UI does. I would be nice to have the right-click context menu that has "Select All" back too. Microsoft really threw the baby out with the bathwater by ripping out tried and true and useful things like these. Idiots.

Coming from Windows 7, it was a super-frustrating experience being forced to move to Windows 8. Effing Microsoft and HP don't provide Windows 7 drivers for new laptops anymore. If they did, I'd have upgraded to Windows 7 as soon as I bough my laptop. Or I would have gone with a laptop that still had drivers for Win7 available, but no such luck. Microsoft's message to consumers is: "Want to buy a new laptop PC? NO WINDOWS 7 FOR YOU, PEASANT! Now look sad and buy Windows 8."

Now, thanks to the fine people here at Classic Shell, I have my start menu back and I can virtually ignore the effing "Modern" (AKA "Metro", "Start Screen", "Hot Mess", "Disaster") UI. All I need now is a way to restore the Windows 7 style file explorer. Little help, please?
:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:07 pm 

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.18

this will disable the ribbon and give you back the old bar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:49 pm 

Note that it patches a system file so use at your own risk. It's generally safe but if the file gets updated by a service pack or update or its original version restored by SFC.exe, it won't work any more.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23 pm 

GauravK, I love the result!
I really wanted my menu back.
I hear you about SP's/hotfixes but I hadda try it.
Thanks,