It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 am 

Hello,

I've recently reinstalled Windows 7 and Classic Shell.

Dimensions of BMP, JPG and GIF images are not displayed in the Details Pain or the Status Bar.
(The dimensions are displayed if I add the Dimensions *column* but I want to see that in the Details Pain).
Dimensions of PNG images *are* displayed.

I've read this article and added "PerceivedType"="image" to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp], but it hasn't solved the problem.

Running assoc .BMP, I get "File association not found". But I've associated BMP to an app and it does open it.

What else can I try?

I'd appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 pm 

Details pane contents are not modified by Classic Shell in any way. You can tweak the Registry to modify them.

Status bar contents are same as what the tooltip/infotip shows. Classic Shell does not touch them either. They are also adjustable in the Registry.

For PNG, try this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile

String value: InfoTip.
String value: PreviewDetails
Value data: prop:System.Image.Dimensions

See the full reference here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff521691(v=vs.85).aspx

Also, see the existing Registry values at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ContentDirectory.item.imageItem and copy-paste them.

If you mark a directory as containing Pictures (apply the Pictures template), it should show the dimensions in Details pane.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hello Gaurav,

Thanks for replying. It's kind of you.

After some trial and error, the following code worked for me.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.bmp]
"PreviewDetails"="prop:*System.Image.Dimensions;*System.Size;*System.DateCreated;"
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Origin;System.Photo.DateTaken;System.PropGroup.Image;System.Image.Dimensions;System.Image.HorizontalSize;System.Image.VerticalSize;System.Image.BitDepth;System.PropGroup.FileSystem;System.ItemNameDisplay;System.ItemType;System.ItemFolderPathDisplay;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size;System.FileAttributes;System.OfflineAvailability;System.OfflineStatus;System.SharedWith;System.FileOwner;System.ComputerName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.ItemType;*System.Image.Dimensions;*System.Size"
"ExtendedTileInfo"="prop:System.ItemType;*System.Image.Dimensions"
"ImageOptionFlags"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.bmp\OpenWithList\PhotoViewer.dll]

The code existed for PNG and I slightly modified it for BMP, GIF and JPG.

I appreciate your suggestion but I'd rather not mess with the Registry again as long as it works. :)

Best regards.