It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:51 am 

Two more questions from the old man - - I have a younger friend who is setting up my new Win-7-Pro-64 laptop. He is configuring it with your excellent "Classic Shell".

At some point, he is going to have to pry my XP machine from my cold dead fingers, and I am going to have to learn a few new things...

OK, even assuming that most of my right-click and left-click and Windows Explorer functionality is similar, that still leave a few holes - -

(1.) Outlook Express - - I need to monitor many email accounts, including - -

a.) Both variations of the GoDaddy email

b.) Several Gmail accounts

c.) Squirrel Mail as used by Securenym, many accounts...

Most of these many accounts are in IMAP, not POP3.

My young friend has already tried "OE Classic", and he has determined that "OE Classic" doesn't work, because it supports only POP3, not IMAP. (See - - www.oeclassic.com)

So, that leaves this one as a possibility - -
http://www.zinstall.com/products/zinstall-migration-transfer-outlook-express-email-to-windows-7

Again, I wish to copy my entire OE6 application and folders from an old XP machine, and move to a new Win-7-Pro-64 computer.

Do any of you know if my old OE6 will still run IMAP, after a Zinstall "move"?

(2.) Puppy Dog Search - - This is "supposedly" very similar to the XP-style search, but without the dog...http://goffconcepts.com/index.html

Have any of you actually tried this ? - -
http://goffconcepts.com/products/filesearchex/index.html

Thanks, and I look forward to your replies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 am 

Though your questions are mostly beyond the scope of classic shell, Ill try my best to answer them.

Windows 7 is similar enough that you shouldn't have too much of a problem transitioning. almost all of the basics are the same Left click to select, double click to run, right click to bring up the context (which has open, cut, paste, delete, properties, etc

As for your email something like mozillas thunderbird might be a better choice. Yes it will take some getting used to; but it should support the features you need the most. (and I already confirmed IMAP support)
I definitely wouldnt go the zinstall route...

In order to sync your emails you will likely need to install thunderbird on your XP machine, and import to it. then go from there

@ puppydog search
I consider Windows 7 search an improvement over Xp's and I would suggest trying it. However if you are still unsatisfied there are other alternatives (and they can even be setup to work with classic shell) Some of them are mentioned in the help files for classic shell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:20 pm 

Outlook Express (Old XP-Style OE6) This works for Win-7 . . .

We made this work ! ! - -

http://runasxp.com/Thread-Outlook-Expre ... 0-DOWNLOAD

Same folders, same "ifa" files, full IMAP support...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:27 am 

IronWorker wrote:
Outlook Express (Old XP-Style OE6) This works for Win-7 . . .

We made this work ! ! - -

http://runasxp.com/Thread-Outlook-Expre ... 0-DOWNLOAD

Same folders, same "ifa" files, full IMAP support...

I have tried the download and yes this works on my Windows 7. The only problem is that it deactivated my Windows Mail so it stopped working. But the way I got round that was to re-name the Windows Mail Old folder back to Windows Mail again and WM was working again alongside OE.
Maybe you are not supposed to run both OE and WM on the same PC as they both share the same files. But both email programs are working on mine.