It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 pm 

I'm using Windows 7. I came to classic shell looking for a solution to the following problem...

When I change these settings - column view, sort by, group by, filter - then leave the folder and come back, the settings disappear. I have tried everything to no avail. I know this can be done, because on my laptop these settings persist.

Does classic shell provide this functionality?

While I'm add it, I'd love any recommendations for alternatives to libraries to manage 'virtual folders,' the reason being that changing the aforementioned settings in a library, will impact these settings in folders included in that library. I haven't been able to verify this, because of the current problem. I'm also not using the libraries right now (other than the default settings), I deleted custom libraries and restored the default ones as this has solved the problem for some.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 pm 

No, Classic Shell doesn't do anything to affect Explorer's ability to remember or restore folder view settings.

However, Explorer in Windows 7/8 *should* remember the View settings by default. You might find this article helpful to understand how Explorer stores it settings: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-set-a-fo ... rge-icons/ Depending on the folder contents, there are 5 templates involved and you must set the view settings for each template (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos and General) separately.

If your folder views aren't remembered despite setting them for each template, you might find this freebie useful: http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800soft/softwa ... ptions.htm It forces Explorer to use the older view control which behaves differently (and may remember settings for you).

Also, as you observed correctly, Libraries override the folder's view settings and use their own rules. They apply the parent view of the Library to all folders inside it when accessing the folder from inside the Library. There is no way around that other than opening the folder directly (without accessing it via the Library).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.