It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 am 

Hey guys,

That's my problem in a nutshell. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program, rebooted, closed explorer windows, opened new ones, checked the box, unchecked the box, checked it again, opened a new explorer window, etc. It just doesn't work. No matter what I do the next open folder drops to the bottom of the explorer window (pane on the left). The only thing that seems to make any difference is unchecking "automatically expand to current folder". But that creates a different annoyance. And the bizarre thing is, I had the program (classic shell) installed and this problem licked until about a week ago, then all of the sudden it popped up again. It had been working just fine for months. So I uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest version (several times now) and nothing.

I've searched the forum and read a bunch of threads. I see nothing that helps. Please for the love of God someone help me. This problem is the bane of my existence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 am 

The most common issue which can cause the Explorer component to not work is if the DLLs are disabled from Internet Options. Follow the steps here (both #1 and #2): http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar . 'Fix folder scrolling' should of course be on. Then reopen the Explorer window, and the folder pane should not jump.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:37 am 

I could kiss you right now. It seems to only work when I have it set to XP Classic. When I switched it to Vista it went back to doing the same crap. But whatever. That's a very, very small price to pay.